Internet Not Working

hairybobby

I have not got much experience with internet computers(I am not on the internet at home). I know someone who has two computers on the internet yet one of the computers does not work. Heres what I have done so far. I have swapped over the leads. The leads both work on one computer yet do not work on the other one. Then I checked through internet explorer to check if there was something in the configuration system that does not work

So would I be right in assuming that this could be a motherboard problem. Its just I have not got any experience with internet connections at all

firstly, try ipconfig/all in the start>run>cmd. see if the DHCP server and IP address looks normal.

if not, then you want to be renewing them ipconfig/renew (in start > run > cmd)

then check the adaptor settings in the control panel.

check the firewall assuming it has one.

double check the browser settings.

try connecting in 'Safe Mode with Networking'

and let us know how you get on.

if you are a little wet behind the ears with networking (or like the quick n easy way) the windows xp network setup wizard is a godsend... i often use it because it's quicker to set up all the network settings and file/printer sharing than it is to do it all manually for two network adapters and a printer

you shouldn't really have to use the commandline to set up a simple client pc, but it can be useful to troubleshoot the network settings of the pc AFTER you run the network wizard (for dns issues, firewall being over-zealous, etc)

you might have to enable the LAN controller if it is built into the motherboard (the RJ-45 Ethernet port is on the motherboard I/O shield with the rear USB ports, keyboard, mouse, etc)...

you might have to install the drivers for an onboard LAN controller

you might have to install the drivers for a PCI LAN controller...

if you go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters

do you see any entries? are there any exclamation marks there?

First off your initial info is lacking some important details...

What kind of internet connection is it? Cable, DSL, etc.

Is there a router? switch, hub?

Is the ethernet cable going directly from the modem to the computer, or to a router/switch/hub first?

Please give us a little bit more info on the setup to see if we can determine if its a hardware or software problem. Any model numbers/manufacturer info of the network equipment would be helpful as well.