2gigs For Gaming

does anyone have anything to say about the new Crucial Ballistix? The guy's review said he hit 280mhz

Also can anyone tell me the difference between the redline series and These?

I think 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix is really over. A bunch of people at Xtreme Systems are having their sticks die right and left. Lots of RMA downtime.

The Mushkin Redline is their premier 2x1GB kit. It runs 3-3-2-7 timings at it's rated speed and then some, and the regular XP4000 Black runs 3-4-3-8 at it's rated speed and higher. I wanted the Redline myself, but went with the regular XP4000. Mine's running at 260Mhz, 3-4-3-7, 1T.

G.Skill GBHZ is similar to the Mushkin Black XP4000 (same chips) and is a little cheaper. If you got the dough, go for the Redline.

2 questions, besides 56 pins whats the difference between 184 and 240 pinned ram? Also can the Crucial ballistix 2GB kit run in dual channel?

<edit> Their website says thier banking in DUAL, so maybe just the 1st questions now :P<edit>

The difference is 184 pin ram is DDR ram. 240 pin ram is DDR2 which is currently not supported on amd systems. In the future sockets like M2 is may or may not be supported.

I'm getting mixed signals here. I know my mobo doesn't support dual channel ram. Can you use dual channel as single? A lot of the egg links have still been for dual channel ram?

There's a sale this weekend at the egg, should I be interested in THIS?

It isn't the RAM that's dual channel, it's the motherboard that will run the memory in dual-channel.

You want to make sure your motherboard has dual channel and then put memory in the appropriate slots so that the memory will be run in dual channel.

My son's motherboard only has 3 memory slots and doesn't do dual channel. Mine has four slots all filled with 512 meg memory. All of the memory is identical so I am running dual channel because it's my motherboard that supports it.

A dual channel kit is nothing more than two sticks of the same memory.

Edited by stitch_626