Recommended Power Supplies List

Removed BeQuiet! (all) - Slightly ruthless to cull them all probably, but I don't know why I hadn't done it before. Lack of reliable evidence. Reckon there is some more pruning to be done, as well as a few more additions. Will sort that out over this week hopefully. :)

Bit of a harsh move don't you think? I could provide you with enough review data to put them right back on the list, but it'd be 99% in German ;) BeQuiet units are sold as Bgears in the USA, so you can check those out. These units are actually BeQuiets: Bgears b-Tarantula 650W and Bgears b-Tarantula 550W

They look exactly the same as the Straightpower / Dark Power Pro series BeQuiets and specs are also identical :)

• 3 weeks later...
Bit of a harsh move don't you think? I could provide you with enough review data to put them right back on the list, but it'd be 99% in German ;) BeQuiet units are sold as Bgears in the USA, so you can check those out. These units are actually BeQuiets: Bgears b-Tarantula 650W and Bgears b-Tarantula 550W

They look exactly the same as the Straightpower / Dark Power Pro series BeQuiets and specs are also identical :)

Firstly, I like being harsh, it's kind of my job with this. :lol:

I didn't really have any links to back up their inclusion on the list, even though I would personally be confident leaving them there.

I don't mind reading through some German reviews as long as they are well conducted, so throw them out there. :)

Also:

Added OCZ Fatal1ty 700W - review data here

Added GlacialPower GP-AL650AA 650 W - review data here

Added Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W - review data here

Added Antec CP-850 850W - review data here - it's important to note that this is only compatible with certain Antec cases.

Added Coolermaster UCP 700W - review data here

I know review links haven't really been added to the list yet. Working on that now. :)

Here's one in English I would recommend you have a read through. While I am not completely familiar with which test equipment is necessary for it to be a good review, they do measure ripple and all the likes we have in our own PSU reviews as well:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet...rPro750W/3.html

Also, from the leading German computer test magazine, the Hardwareluxx, a test of the BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W: http://hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/allg...le-im-test.html

You gotta download the PDF to get the test results, but I think they do real good tests.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one in English I would recommend you have a read through. While I am not completely familiar with which test equipment is necessary for it to be a good review, they do measure ripple and all the likes we have in our own PSU reviews as well:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet...rPro750W/3.html

Also, from the leading German computer test magazine, the Hardwareluxx, a test of the BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W: http://hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/allg...le-im-test.html

You gotta download the PDF to get the test results, but I think they do real good tests.

They don't fully load the power supply. TechpowerUp went to only 400W and Hardwareluxx to only 297W.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

is the cooler master silent pro 700 good?? im thinking of buyng one for me

and am planing to do an over when i upgrade my machine will it handle?

Edited by pessoas

Added Coolermaster Silent Pro M700W - review data here

Good enough to make it onto the list I reckon. :)

As for whether it will handle what you are planning to build, that of course depends on the components you are choosing.

700W is certainly plenty for most builds, so unless you are planning on using multiple high end graphics cards then you'll be fine.

I would also suggest checking out alternative PSUs (if you haven't already) before making a final decision.

Also

Added Enermax Pro82+ 625W - review data here

Edited by jammin

Added Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W - review data here

Just edges it, as it is a pretty expensive unit and there are good options that are cheaper.

Very impressive efficiency though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have added a link to PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need? over at X-bit labs.

It is a suitably thorough investigation into how much power a number of system configurations draw, broken down to component level.

It again shows that power requirements are often overestimated, though the testing doesn't include a very high end multi-GPU setup (say high end SLi or CrossfireX).

It also doesn't take into account overclocking. I believe that is something that is planned for the future.

Edited by jammin

I have added a link to PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need? over at X-bit labs.

It is a suitably thorough investigation into how much power a number of system configurations draw, broken down to component level.

It again shows that power requirements are often overestimated, though the testing doesn't include a very high end multi-GPU setup (say high end SLi or CrossfireX).

It also doesn't take into account overclocking. I believe that is something that is planned for the future.

jammin

Very interesting article, at least I thought so! :lol:

You've got me intrigued by that current measuring hall effect device they use, will have to look into that one.

Cheers

Paul