Clean Carving Into Plexiglass

Hi:

I'm trying to find a way to carve into plexiglass (but not cutting, i.e. going all the way thru). I've tried using my dremel, but the plexiglassk just melts around it, causing a mess.

Is there a way to carve into plexiglass cleanly?

Thanks

Sniper9

Hi:

I'm trying to find a way to carve into plexiglass (but not cutting, i.e. going all the way thru).  I've tried using my dremel, but the plexiglassk just melts around it, causing a mess.

Is there a way to carve into plexiglass cleanly?

Thanks

Sniper9

615784[/snapback]

Dremel at low speed is the only thing I know of... maybe sand- or bead-blasting. :thumbs-up:

dermal low speed with mashingtape covering the top of the plexi

615788[/snapback]

:withstupid: You should use masking tape regardless of what you are cutting - it will keep the edges much cleaner and neater then just cutting the material.

I was thinking an anime version of Wolverine, and my question was how do i use the masking tape involving etching out a anime character.

Thanks

SNiper9

615822[/snapback]

Cover the whole thing with strips of masking tape(thick one will be best obviously) then draw on that, or tape the drawing onto it. It wont be easy - dremels dont take tight turns too well.

Ok for my 2cents worth. It seems like the plexiglass would need to stay cool so it wouldn't melt and get all nasty. Maybe if you were to use an air tool for the cutting and run a waterhose over the piece you are working on would keep it cool enough not to melt while cutting.............. Yeah, may be a long shot, but could be worth a try.

Just remember use an AIR TOOL, not electric. :blink::blink::blink:

Have you tried using a wood router?