Aes Or Tkip?

kendellrt

I am using WPA2 with AES. From what I understand, TKIP is a PSK, but AES is a PSK that changes dynamically. Is that correct? If so, it would be more secure, right?

Also, I have seen that you can use WPA2 without keying a PSK. How does that work, and how does the network know the passphrase?

I have searched all over and gotten the info I have stated so far, I just can't figure out how to get things to work when you don't type a PSK into the wireless node.

I suggest you Bookmark Wikipedia. Along with Webopedia, they can provide some very interesting articles and definitions. :)

Wikipedia

Webopedia

AES

TKIP

WPA and WPA2

I know these articles don't exactly answer your question, But If I find something that relates to them I will tell you. I will be reading them.

EDIT: After reading those articles I would have to say AES with a key size of 256 bits would be the most secure.

I have a hard time understanding some of the stuff in Wikipedia. I am educated, and a native English speaker, but it is just the way they write it. I think it could be more effective.

I got from the last link, though, that when you don't use PSK you need an authentication server. Now it all makes sense. Thanks!

Please respond if I got it wrong, but that would explain why I can't get it to work without using PSK.

Ste,

I don't use AIM anymore, just MSN. I have Yahoo! installed though.

How anal are you about your wifi security?

WEP is of course is a joke. WPA/WPA2 is fine with TKIP/PSK as long as your key is at least 20 random letters/numbers. Anything more like AES is complete overkill. How many reports have you heard of a good WPA key being cracked? None if very little at all.

How anal are you about your wifi security?

WEP is of course is a joke. WPA/WPA2 is fine with TKIP/PSK as long as your key is at least 20 random letters/numbers. Anything more like AES is complete overkill. How many reports have you heard of a good WPA key being cracked? None if very little at all.

609084[/snapback]

Ya, either hes very paranoid or is some Security IT thats out of touch. :D