Your Rights With Software

Kamikaze_Badger

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since someone already brought this back, "2. You may not tell others about how the software performs without the prior written approval of Microsoft. This is most likely to protect marketing and usaeg." So this means that we all have to stop saying how horrible vista is?

Ok I will not say vista is sorry :P I have not even seen vista yet, I have no idea what it looks like so I can not say its sorry...

I think you can only be held under those limitations if you agree to the license which means you have installed that particular software. Pretty much, If you run windows you cant talk about how crappy it is, but if you run linux/bsd/osx you can say whatever the heck you want to about it. So, that would mean that all legally distributed information about microsoft is either M$ approved propaganda or ignorant rants of those who don't run it. Like me.

I dnon't know if thats how they intended me to interpret the license agreement, I could be wrong. Sounds kind of stupid. But if I am right, then road-runner, you are allowed to say vista is sorry, atleast until you install it.

What gets me is how much it sounds like you are merely "borrowing" the software from Microsoft. So it seems almost like at any time they could just call you up and tell you not to use it anymore. Oh well. I just kinda use it the way I want to and try not to blatantly break any laws.

What gets me is how much it sounds like you are merely "borrowing" the software from Microsoft. So it seems almost like at any time they could just call you up and tell you not to use it anymore. Oh well. I just kinda use it the way I want to and try not to blatantly break any laws.

Thats right. Now you understand why I use linux/bsd. I don't believe all that is right. I believe that anyone should be allowed to modify code however they want as long as it is for personal use. Redistributing it should never be done without permission. Especially if money is involved. Though, I think the general idea of all these license agreements is, "don't do anything that cuts into our profits and we will let you be"

• 2 weeks later...

The excerpt that was from was from a public release and possible test/demo of the December '05 DirectX SDK. The Windows XP Home Retail EULA, however, does not state that. Flip side: Microsoft reserves the right to terminate the EULA and have you destroy your CD if you violate it. And, it states that you're not allowed to host commercial services using Windows XP Home (if I translated the legalese properly).

If this irks or bugs you, you have two options: Contact a lawyer and pay $400 to have him look at it, or don't use the software. However, many retail programs have EULAs similar to that one. In the end, the only way to escape it is to use free software. But that's not always an option, as Scotty the College Sophomore, regardless of what he may believe, isn't as talented a programmer as the teams hired by companies.