I Have Failed Father...

ok so i am not new to over clocking but i am new to overclocking a64 chips, i have had an fx-55 since 3 days after they were released and i never oced it, so i talked with bigred and asked him what is a normal oc for the chip, he said around 3.6,and mine is not even coming close to that here are my system stats

fx-55

msi neo4 plat

antec true 550 v2 psu

xfx 7800gtx oc

1gig 2x512 corsair xl 2-2-2-5-1t

creative x-fi

ok so i set the multi to 14 14x200 = 2.8 i am just messing with the multi as i dont want to lower my ram timing or oc the ram it boots at 2.8 but fails p95 with in the 60seconds so i tried uping the vcore 1.55,1.60,1.65 still failed, and at any other multi the system fails to boot.... no matter what the vcore

any ideas? i also have a dfi ultra-d i dont use i may try to swap this board out and use it to oc

Guest Flashstar

Or you could try an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI. I've had great luck with them. Just make sure to set 2t timings if you run it at over 255htt.

Or you could try an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI. I've had great luck with them. Just make sure to set 2t timings if you run it at over 255htt.

598568[/snapback]

I heard those werent all that great for overclocking. Right now I would say the DFI boards are the best.

Or you could try an ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI.

I've had great luck with them.

Just make sure to set 2t timings if you run it at over 255htt.

598568[/snapback]

Let's see, the guy has a perfectly capable DFI board sitting around, available for use. Now why in God's name would he go out and buy an overpriced piece of junk that doesn't perform NEARLY as well as the DFI will?

i firmly believe the dfi nf4 voltage regulation is the reason why the highest oc's are almost all on the dfi nf4 series...

so far on the ultra-d if have oc'd FOUR cpus...

3500+ @ 2.92GHz

146 @ 3.05GHz

146 @ 3.07GHz

148 @ 3.00GHz

the 3500+ can only just manage 2.81GHz on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

the ultra-d and fx-55 would be a nice match...

are you using the stock (heatpiped) cooler?

are you using the stock (heatpiped) cooler?

598607[/snapback]

It didn't even cross my mind to ask that question. I figured BigRed would have mentioned something about better cooling when dangerousfigure talked to him earlier

Well for one I think you are shooting too high. 3.6ghz is not the average on an air cooled fx55 but at the same time 2.8ghz is still a little weak to me. 3ghz seems to be more average for these on air (especially if it is stock air).

well like i said i am no where near being new to over clocking, no i am not using the stock cooler i have a thermalright xp-90 with a panaflo 92mm fan as5 32c idle 40c-45c load on stock settings, 1*C higher when set to 2.8 i failed to mention it does boot at 3.2ghz but gets all buggy even with 1.65 being pumped into it ans my case has 5 120mm fans / all silent moving around 120cfm each at around under 25db so my case and video stay very cool so heat is no issue i really think its the msi board i am pumping 1.65 into the chip and 2.7 into them mem

definitely ultra-d time... i thought your sig said neo4 at first... now that i see it's neo2 then i say make the switch... because my main two rigs use these boards and i've oc'd on both of them and the difference is definitely there...

I run the Fatal1ty board and i havent had any problems thus far the only weird thing there is, is having to deal with the ram divider not being a set option - instead its kinda a secondary between two selectable ones