Cooling++

Hey! Me again!

Here's something that I was pondering while I should have been doing more important things...

Ya know how not all peltier coolers out there are power sucking monstrosites and how some actually use low currents and voltages? And ya know how a water cooled system is limited by the temperature of the air flowing through the radiator or waterbong?

Welllll....

What about sticking a few of those tiny low power peltiers on your radiator and hooking them up to that useless 3V power line that's hanging off the power supply with it's 20A capability going to waste? This way you could have a few air-cooled pelts on standby to keep the coolant at a reasonable temperature for those hot summer days when the A/C is down and it's 90 degrees outside and in... The way I see it, the small TEC's would be adequately cooled by aircooling and could bring down the radiator temp by even a few degrees, since the radiator doesn't give off that much heat on its own.

Okay... There's my idea... Questions?/Comments?/Corrections? B)

sure... :D

To be brief, a peltier or ThermoElectricCoolier is a cooling device that transfers heat from one side of its self to the other, making one side very hot and one side very cold,when a DC current is run through it... The name comes from the physical principal behind it's operation (Peltier effect). Its generally a square wafer about 3 mm thick and 30 or 40mm on each side (Kinda like a saltine cracker :) )...

Pros: - Can chill a processor to subzero temps

- Small size

- Silent

Cons: - Can chill a processor to subzero temps requiring electrical insulation from condensation...

- Often requires a large current to meet heat transfer demands of modern processors

- Require a means of removing the heat that they produce...

- Not foolproof... (Can fry a processor if it produces more heat than they can handle) :ph34r:

I'm sure there's someone out there who can lay down the physics of a Peltier cooler in more detail, but a quick trip to Overclockers.com should take care of any confusion...

Hey! Me again!

Here's something that I was pondering while I should have been doing more important things...

Ya know how not all peltier coolers out there are power sucking monstrosites and how some actually use low currents and voltages? And ya know how a water cooled system is limited by the temperature of the air flowing through the radiator or waterbong?

Welllll....

What about sticking a few of those tiny low power peltiers on your radiator and hooking them up to that useless 3V power line that's hanging off the power supply with it's 20A capability going to waste? This way you could have a few air-cooled pelts on standby to keep the coolant at a reasonable temperature for those hot summer days when the A/C is down and it's 90 degrees outside and in... The way I see it, the small TEC's would be adequately cooled by aircooling and could bring down the radiator temp by even a few degrees, since the radiator doesn't give off that much heat on its own.

Okay... There's my idea... Questions?/Comments?/Corrections? B)

i don't know much about TEC but it sounds like your your're using a pelt to remove heat from the radiator (something it is supposed to do anyway, you're just helping it out) wouldn't you need something to remove the heat from the pelt? It seems like your could be just adding a redundent step although it may work out for the best :huh:

it sounds like your your're using a pelt to remove heat from the radiator

yeah!

The idea is to cross the threshold where passive convection (air being pulled through the radiator) is no longer efficient and use the TEC's to actively force the heat out of the coolant (by taking it out of the rad caseing) and then dissipate it using a heatsink + fan...

At first it seems like you wouldn't be able to cool the heatsink any better by using air cooling, i think that as long as the temp difference is high enough it will work effectivly... :huh:

Hoorah? :D

to oversimplfy it...your putting a radiator on your radiator....

hopefully the TEC part of it will give you some extra cooling. it'll interesting to see how it turns out.