Mobo For 3200 Venice

Abit's are having similar problems to Asus.  both companies lost thier top designers to DFI, both companies still swear by chipset fans, and worse yet for Abit, they're actually a division of Hseng Tech..  AKA ECS, PC Chips, Matsonic, Amptron, Soyo, and many other low quality boards.

I wish you the best of luck when the Q-OTES dies on you... cuz it will, and it will trash your mobo

585272[/snapback]

Are you completely sure on this? When I boot up, my BIOS string indicates an "A1" which means my motherboard is an actual ABIT motherboard, not manufactured by Hsing Tech. I haven't found anything that indicates they are an actual division of Hsing Tech, but even if they are, it doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of the ABIT boards are on the lesser scale of Hsing Tech's "generic board" manufacturers. ABIT's quality control standards are far better than those of PCChips or ECS. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I've read review after review and came to the conclusion ABIT was a great buy. I would like to know how the Q-Otes would "die" on me as it is a passive cooler? Is there a time frame for when these Q-OTES coolers die, as in 3 months ? A week? 6 months?

Edited by domenicz24

sorry I'm thinking of that goofy rear exhaust port some of them have.  and it's been my experience over the years that thier boards have some major problems, many of which have actually gotten worse since Hseng Tech took over the company.  Sure Abit still builds Abit's boards seperate of the rest of Hseng Tech's stuff, but it's using the same materials (especially the capacitors) as the rest of the family.  and having been in the buisiness of dealing with computer parts for so long that worries me to no end :(  hseng tech = scarry...  granted they've spewed out a few decent boards like K7S5A and D6VAA but they've also spewed out junk like the K7SOEM and it's many variants.  also don't belief all the reviews you see out there.  infact it was a review of an Abit product that showed me the light there.  I was the one WRITING the review for a website.  I had a very negative experience with Abit's BP6 and just had one problem after another.  Abit replaced the board several times...  no luck just  lousy product.  So I decided to do what a GOOD product review author should do, purchase another product by another company and see how that goes.  I selected a Gigabyte 6BXD and 2 socket 370 to slot 1 converters.  this board had NO official support for the celeron (which the BP6 was built for), yet it ran flawlessly.  That board was recently retired from service by me, and is hopefully serving it's new owner just as well with the PIII's that it wasn't suppost to support, and the BP6 couldn't :).  Now I subimtted my review to the site, and was severely reprimanded, finding out only that Abit was paying a large sum of money to the site to give them favorable reviews...  a "common practice" as I was told.  reviews on sites like that are not 100% honest.  they're very much a "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" system.  they won't tell you the bad stuff...  especially when someone is paying for a favorable review.  this is why I turn to the forums such as this to ask people who aren't paid to play with a product, but actually pay for it on thier own.

granted I do testing for MS, Apple, DFI, AMD and Intel...  but I recieve NO money for that, nor do I give anyone my results or findings except the companies themselves.  I will tell them what I see, good or bad, and offer constructive critieques of thier products...  without a pay check at the end.

585286[/snapback]

I agree on the of the quality of the capcitors used. Abit now uses Japanese Rubicon capacitors, and for that fact they found it necessary to even advertise it on their motherboard boxes! (something to be very proud of after numerous capacitor failures, something I think most MB manufacturers suffered from at one time or another!). I also not only read the reviews from just websites alone. I learned that after I read an article on the video card manufacturers doing the same thing with paying the reviewer(s) to rave on their video card in the reviews. I've been on the ASUS forums for the last 3 years (around the same time I signed up on this site), and I read the many many problems with the chipset fans dying. I was actually dissapointed at ASUS for such horrible quality for the first time. I went to the ABIT forums to read up on the problems users were experiencing with the ABIt AN8-SLI boards. IMO, and of course its just IMO, the ABIT seemed to be a bit more versatile and for a bit less, came with the passive cooler on the chipset. If I bought the ASUS A8N-SLI and had to purchase a passive cooler for the chipset that would have ran me into the $160 territory easy. For my $129, I am completely happy with the board. It's actually rare that my expectations are surpassed on computer component I buy, but the 3200+ venice with this board overshot my expectations. I read up on the DFI's and Neo4's, and they are VERY nice boards, but with my pockets, they were just a bit out of my price range.

( I also learned my lesson with the K7S board..... :( )