Switching Cpu's

If i take a 2.8 Northwood and stick a 3.0 prescott, will that make windows have a fit ?? and give me a BSOD?? or should i be fine..

bleh, intel :P. lol, nah, that should be fine. I assume they use the same drivers, right? That's the only thing that matters. It's just as if you overclock it. If you overclocked your 2.8 to 3.0, your comp would think you had a 3.0. So no big deal.

theres this software, it was Ice CPU ID or some . like that, it can tell your Original model even if you oc it alot. like your comp if your . was lets say amd semp 2400 ( mine heh ) and you ocd it to like 2.2 it would tell you in your comp that you have a mobile sempron and whne you look at software it would tell you that you 40% overclocked and . like that, and it would tell you you have a sempron 2400

well techinically it's the chipset drivers, sorry I didn't specify. But that's what controls the cpu's. That's why, when say, AMD introduces a new cpu, they put out an update to their driver that will add support for it. I assume intel does the same type of thing.

but regardless, maybe I just said too much, I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

The short of it is, YES, you can switch the cpu's no prob.

crapola.. my p4p800 deluxe.. im not sure if it takes the prescott core.. and last time i flashed my BIOS, my freeken computer kept restarting every 20 min.. not due to heat.. just idk.. crappy bios upgrade.. so i had to flash it back..

crapola.. my p4p800 deluxe.. im not sure if it takes the prescott core.. and last time i flashed my BIOS, my freeken computer kept restarting every 20 min.. not due to heat.. just idk.. crappy bios upgrade.. so i had to flash it back..

571250[/snapback]

well yeah, that could definitely be a problem! I'm not familiar with the different intel cores...is that a smaller die size? or faster fsb? or what? yeah, I would assume you'd need to flash your bios to the newest one. good luck.

ya.. and thatnks to asus's great webpage.. i cant find anything!!! they mention other 90nm cpu's .. but ont the 3.0 800mhz FSB 1mb cache 90nm

??

the box said prescott ready.. but that could mean with a bios flash.. and.. i cant seam to find my ASUSLiveupdate program

ya.. and thatnks to asus's great webpage.. i cant find anything!!!  they  mention other 90nm cpu's .. but ont the 3.0 800mhz FSB 1mb cache 90nm

??

the box said prescott ready.. but that could mean with a bios flash.. and.. i cant seam to find my ASUSLiveupdate program

571262[/snapback]

does YOUR box say prescott ready? or does a pic of a box you found online say it? If it's YOUR box, then I'd say you're PROBABLY okay to go. If your box doesn't mention it but you see the recent ones mentioning it, then you probably need to update.

PS. If you can do the bios update thru windows, it's easier. For my MSI, when I went to flash it a few months ago, it wouldn't flash in the bios, so i just ran it thru windows and it seemed to do it just fine.