Need Help

Nexus89

Okay here is my situation:

I was cleaning out my system to get rid of the dust inside and took it apart to the barest of levels. After putting everything back inside I powered up my system and everything powers up and the lights turn on... but that's it. The lights don't flicker, it doesn't load, and it won't power down unless I turn off the PSU. So my first troubleshoots were trying a new power supply... same problem... disabling components... same problem...

Now here is what has me really confused... since I was working on my father's system at the same time I decided to take a break from my system to finish his... I turn it on... SAME PROBLEM. All the lights on, everything runs, but the system won't load to bios. Monitors (tried two) idle (no image).

So I imagine I have a power problem and have tried different outlets to no avail. What could possibly be going on with these systems?

I'm 100% certain there is nothing making contact with the motherboard that shouldn't be.

Also the second computer wasn't altered, taken apart or anything. Just tried to turn it on and got the same negative result.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after trying for a good chunk of time sometime during the weekend I just turned them on and they just... well worked. I simply gave up trying things and when I least expected it (without modifying anything) they just worked.

So my question is... why would the PSUs keep the everything powered on and not usable? And then what could have triggered that magic moment of usability?

I mean I can turn them on and off without any trouble now as if my week long ordeal never happened.

It sounds very much like your power connection to your MB wasn't all the way "sunk in", and that just before you powered it up that one time that worked, you bumped it or pushed it or did whatever it took to get the power lines to hook up.

It seems to me that most motherboards these days have an LED that always stays on when the PSU is connected. Do you know if your MB has such an LED and did you notice its state?

Also, PC design standard mandates a system of speaker beeps when certain minimal components aren't discovered on power up (like keyboard & video). Did you notice any beeps when you powered up the PC? I believe one beep is good, but any more than that means something the computer needs is missing.

I understand the frustration of your experience. In the future, when that happens (and it will, no matter what you do to prevent it...), disconnect everything on the computer. Connect just the PSU to just the MB and power up. Listen for beeps. If you don't get any, your MB is not properly powered.

If you do, it probably is and you can start adding components to the loop one at a time. (Add the video first for improved feedback.)

Sorry about your torture session, and everyone here feels your pain!!

Good Luck,

R.

1.It sounds very much like your power connection to your MB wasn't all the way "sunk in", and that just before you powered it up that one time that worked, you bumped it or pushed it or did whatever it took to get the power lines to hook up.

2.It seems to me that most motherboards these days have an LED that always stays on when the PSU is connected.  Do you know if your MB has such an LED and did you notice its state?

3.Also, PC design standard mandates a system of speaker beeps when certain minimal components aren't discovered on power up (like keyboard & video).  Did you notice any beeps when you powered up the PC?  I believe one beep is good, but any more than that means something the computer needs is missing.

4.I understand the frustration of your experience.  In the future, when that happens (and it will, no matter what you do to prevent it...), disconnect everything on the computer.  Connect just the PSU to just the MB and power up.  Listen for beeps.  If you don't get any, your MB is not properly powered.

5.If you do, it probably is and you can start adding components to the loop one at a time.  (Add the video first for improved feedback.)

Sorry about your torture session, and everyone here feels your pain!!

Good Luck,

R.

573595[/snapback]

1. Well I hoped when he said he checked all connections that he really did check all and take them out and replace them.

2. Of those Ive seen they are usally close to the RAM or CPU. If the computer actualy turned on but did not get passed POST then its a good bet that this LED was active.

3. Called POST errors, These errors are only transmited if the video card is not present or is incapable of displaying anything (Broken AGP slot or PCIE slot, prehaps Bad Card/Dead card). If the display is active any other error will be shown on the screen such as keyboard or old PS/2 Mouse error. If there is a RAM/CPU/Motherboard error the POST process will stop and the Beeps will occur from System Speaker. Refer to motherboard manual for exact details to what each error means. 1 Single beep means POST was successful. POST= Power On Self Test.

4. The easiest way to fix this problem in my Experience is to take motherboard out of Case then try booting, if it still does not, try booting with only CPU/RAM/Video card, still no go start taking off parts till something works. Some Jumpers or DIP switches may also be configured improperly. Getting no beeps can mean many things, including Bad motherboard, bad CPU, improperly seated CPU, No Speaker attached or as you said bad power or not enough power. I think there are others, I just can't think of right now.

5.Its a good learning Experience, especially if your going into computers and recieving A+ certification.

I was so bored, I felt like replying.

Yeah I checked anything and everything that I could think of. All my motherboards have LEDs and they were lit. In fact everything was lit which was my original dilema. Everything was "turned on" but nothing would happen... in fact none of the lights powered down as is customary during the start up process. They were just frozen as if in a hyper powered state. I took everything apart and reset up everything still got the same problem. There were no beeps but everything sounded if that makes any sense. The systems definitely checked themselves but wouldn't progress.

Once I gave up I just left it them plugged into the wall and walked away for a couple of days... when I decided to get back to the problem at hand it just worked. As if nothing had happened at all.

Maybe they wanted an extended vacation from me... :P

Edited by Nexus89

Computers really have personalities. Sometimes they work amazing, other days they may not feel like working so well anymore.

I seriously think computers are the geek substitute for women. They're just as illogical and impossible to understand, and when you finally think you know them inside and out, they go ahead and do something that baffles your mind. :P