New To Oc Club

CamoJunkie

post-81983-0-94745000-1326903273_thumb.jpg (VCore reading is wrong, it's actually 1.625)

My latest project is an AMD 4000+ rig I'm trying to get to at least 3.0. I've hit 2.8 stable (see attachment), but am affraid I've hit a brick wall without watercooling. I'm currently running 3 sunon 120x38's front, back and side, and they move 108 cfm each at 46dbs, so its not loud.

I'm thinking that when the new Asus A8N32 SLI mobo comes out I'll give that a shot, due to the 8-phase power, "they" claim it should run 15C cooler. Hopefully that will run cool enough for me to hit 3.0 and I need an SLI mobo anyway.

Any ideas would be useful.

Edited by CamoJunkie

im with stupid! lol, yeah hes right if you look over 50% of asus boards are intel, and if you want sl get the DFI nForce4 SLI i think thats what it was. :)

563574[/snapback]

Its not that they are mostly Intel its just that ASUS are less suited for AMD processors and DFI and MSI's OC better with AMD's.

what are you guys talking about asus in the begining made sucky boards but now they are good . i have one and it is stable and runs great. i think 3dmark03 high score was held by one for a long time im not sure if its still the case. any way . i think if heats not an issue then try losening up your ram timmings and then slowly tighten them back up. also set a divider so it doesnt stress the ram too much. there are a lot of factors that go into making a rig stable . pointing out mobo off the bat is not helpfull in any way to making camojunkie a better ocer

edit: use asus probe to find out more accurate temps and voltage

edit 2 oops i thought you already had a asus board sorry for the mix up

what are you guys talking about asus in the begining made sucky boards but now they are good . i have one and it is stable and runs great. i think 3dmark03 high score was held by one for a long time im not sure if its still the case. any way . i think if heats not an issue then try losening up your ram timmings and then slowly tighten them back up. also set a divider so it doesnt stress the ram too much. there are a lot of factors that go into making a rig stable . pointing out mobo off the bat is not helpfull in any way to making camojunkie a better ocer

edit: use asus probe to find out more accurate temps and voltage

563602[/snapback]

I don't judge a product by what 1 person says. however if like 5+ say it Id change.

The issue here is not that I need another motherboard, my AN8 is doing great, nor am I married to the idea of buying the new ASUS board. My issue is that I'm running a little hot, 60C, during Si-Sandra burn-in and I'm trying to get to 3.0. ASUS has a board that has new 8-phase power technology (versus 4 to 6 phase in current mobos) that runs up to 15C cooler. Now, I havn't ever seen actual data that would deter me from pairing an AMD with ASUS, but I do agree that ASUS is more associated with Intel than AMD.

Before I do something idiotic, like pair AMD with ASUS together <_< , I'm just looking for advise on what I can do with my current config to squeeze out a few more Mhz. I'll try messing with the RAM timings some more. One thing I was thinking about was lowering the multi and increasing the FSB.

The issue here is not that I need another motherboard, my AN8 is doing great, nor am I married to the idea of buying the new ASUS board.  My issue is that I'm running a little hot, 60C, during Si-Sandra burn-in and I'm trying to get to 3.0.  ASUS has a board that has new 8-phase power technology (versus 4 to 6 phase in current mobos) that runs up to 15C cooler.  Now, I havn't ever seen actual data that would deter me from pairing an AMD with ASUS, but I do agree that ASUS is more associated with Intel than AMD.

Before I do something idiotic, like pair AMD with ASUS together <_< , I'm just looking for advise on what I can do with my current config to squeeze out a few more Mhz.  I'll try messing with the RAM timings some more.  One thing I was thinking about was lowering the multi and increasing the FSB.

563928[/snapback]

Well, let me give you some insight. The ABit boards are notorious for reporting inaccurate temperatures. It's usually fixed with a BIOS update.

heve you given as5 proper burn in time. i mean leave it on then off to cool then on again after a few hours of off and on cycles it will be better at cooling. i think the problem is you might not have a good contact with the hsf or you just need a better on.

Good points.

I'm running stock HSF. I have a TT Pipe 101 I could use, but I lost the K-8 hardware. I can try to fab something, but I prefer to find somewhere to buy it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

As well, Abit is notoriously high in their temp readings and bios v19 is supposed to correct it. Is there a problem with me using a CD to flash instead of floppy, I don't have a floppy drive on this new machine?