Asus A8n32-sli Deluxe Worth The Upgrade?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your current board is a via chipset (V = Via, N = Nvidia). ATi does not have an agp motherboard chipset.

I was assuming you were going to upgrade the motherboard anyway.

for you the top cards out there are either the x850xtpe or 6800 ultra.

I don't like asus. Always consider MSI, gigabyte, or DFI before asus. I've heard only bad things from them, and not just their motherboards. There's nothing special that I've heard about asus, for example, from my experience, MSI overclocks well, gigabyte is very stable and has many features, and DFI is like the god of all motherboards and offer crazy overclock with amazing features.

Very nice Board if you have 2 identical PCI-E VidCards for SLI and you want them to get their full bandwidth of DATA. The ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe currently only comes in the Deluxe model. The "32" in the name is for two 16x PCI-E running at full speed. The board uses nVidia's updated nForce-4 Ultra Chipset which are a Dual-Chipset solution that offers 40 PCI-E Lanes as compared to 24 on the original nForce-4 chipset. This is nearly the same chipset as that used on the TYAN K8WE Dual Opteron64 Server Mobo.

The ASUS board offers extra Power Headers for the use of adding extra Power to it's PCI-E cards. A total of 2 extra headers providing an additional 200 watts to the mobo. The mobo is of coarse the ATX 2.0 protocol with it's 24 Pin ATX header. A very gernerous assortment of cables and connectors is also included with the Deluxe version.

Other companies will start to release their Dual PCI-E 16x (Full Speed) soon. This chipset was only released to OEM a little over 6 weeks ago for the socket 939.

Edited by Wildling

I just wanted to re-assure that this is a good board, and a much cheaper solution for getting dual PCI-E 16x, over Tyan's $600 K8WE Opteron Board and thus having to use costly ECC for it. However, Opteron Processors offer a much better punch over Athlon64's and cost less. But that's not the question here.

We are lucky to actually a consumer class ChipSet from nVidia to support dual 16X PCI-E.

Dell put a little pressure on nVidia to come up with a full speed SLI solution for use in Dell

first it doesn't offer jack squat of a real world benifit to it :( second how the hell is an opteron better punch for less money? the cpu is more expensive, the boards are more expensive, they are MUCH stricter about the power supply in use (on a worthwhile board) and the registered ECC ram is not only more expensive, but SLOWER. to me that puts it down 2 points against the Athlon... only plus to the opteron is SMP support.