African American Day Parade

martymcfly

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's part of being sentient to strive for ideals or perfection even if one realizes that both may never be reached. I don't think anyone is looking to eliminate racism, just eliminate it as much as possible.

Edited by Instag0

You know it isn't the fact that they have a parade that ticks me off. The fact that if it was a "White" parade lots of people would be hollaring racism. That is what ticks me off. Yes, the black race had a hard time a hundred years ago bit why does everyone dwell on it. All it does is fuel this "I deserve it and have special rights because my ancestors were oppressed" mentality.

I have NO problem with being proud of one's herritage. I have no problem with one being proud of thier ethnicity. I am totally in favor of everything being equal.

however there are things that PISS me off.

1: U of M entrance exam. - 4 pts for being a male. - 4 pts for being white. + 12 points for being black, AND get your 4 points back. affirmitive action? how about discrimination?

2: one black center in the NFL causes an article to be written. NO white cornerbacks isn't an issue is it?

3: the Chapel show... the best example I can think of. he gets up and makes jokes about white people... not a word is said to him. a white comic gets up and makes wise cracks about black people... he's in jail or dead.

4: Black history month. Black pride parade. Blackplanet.com. UPN. if white people had things like this 2 logos would be associated with them... a burning cross and a swastika. even though that wouldn't be the case if it was EQUAL.

5: Black only night clubs in detroit.... good lord a lawyer would be up someones butt if it was a white only night club.

even one of my last customers when I had the store tried the whole racist thing. she wanted her computer fixed NOW. well there was a 3 day wait. she saw a white woman picking up her computer (which was dropped off a week earlier). this threw her into a temper tantrum about the wait. she yelled and screamed at the tech who explained everything in a very polite manner. she wanted to speak with his boss (yell is not speaking in my book). I told her if that was the attitude she was going to have with me, to take her buisness somewhere else. she called me a racist, said I was discriminating against her because she was black... I politely told her "ma'am, the fact that you're black makes no difference to me. you could be white, tan, green with neon yellow hair and 2 little bright pink things hanging out of your head... it wouldn't change the fact that you're being an idiot". (and that is truely how I feel on the subject... base my view of a person on what they do not what they look like or where they're from or what they choose to pray to or anything like that).

I have NO problem with being proud of one's herritage.  I have no problem with one being proud of thier ethnicity.  I am totally in favor of everything being equal. 

however there are things that PISS me off.

1:  U of M entrance exam.  - 4 pts for being a male.  - 4 pts for being white.  + 12 points for being black, AND get your 4 points back.  affirmitive action?  how about discrimination?

2:  one black center in the NFL causes an article to be written.  NO white cornerbacks isn't an issue is it?

3:  the Chapel show... the best example I can think of.  he gets up and makes jokes about white people...  not a word is said to him.  a white comic gets up and makes wise cracks about black people... he's in jail or dead.

4:  Black history month.  Black pride parade.  Blackplanet.com.  UPN.  if white people had things like this 2 logos would be associated with them...  a burning cross and a swastika.  even though that wouldn't be the case if it was EQUAL.

5:  Black only night clubs in detroit....  good lord a lawyer would be up someones butt if it was a white only night club.

even one of my last customers when I had the store tried the whole racist thing.  she wanted her computer fixed NOW.  well there was a 3 day wait.  she saw a white woman picking up her computer (which was dropped off a week earlier).  this threw her into a temper tantrum about the wait.  she yelled and screamed at the tech who explained everything in a very polite manner.  she wanted to speak with his boss (yell is not speaking in my book).  I told her if that was the attitude she was going to have with me, to take her buisness somewhere else.  she called me a racist, said I was discriminating against her because she was black...  I politely told her "ma'am, the fact that you're black makes no difference to me.  you could be white, tan, green with neon yellow hair and 2 little bright pink things hanging out of your head...  it wouldn't change the fact that you're being an idiot". (and that is truely how I feel on the subject...  base my view of a person on what they do not what they look like or where they're from or what they choose to pray to or anything like that).

547431[/snapback]

Exactly.

people who feel that that their color of their skin makes a difference makes me ill. Especially when a race who was oppressed centuries ago feels that the opressors who now see the formerly opressed as equals, owe them something. that pisses me off to no end i went to as school like that and it was hell for the 100 white kids verses the 1000blacks and hispanics....

This kind of stuff is a tough call really.

On one hand, I look at this and say that it's obvious favoritism. Like has been said, if there was a "white dude" parade, you'd have riot on your hands faster than you could blink. And stuff like what red's talking about with the entry exams for colleges... that's just lame. Equality should mean equality, and right now it doesn't (within this topic).

On the other hand, pretty much all of the people that I hear saying "racism isn't a problem anymore" are white. It's easy for white folk (like me) to look at the racism problem and say "yep, it's over", but it's not. It has gotten MONUMENTALLY better in the last 30 years or so, but I still think it has a good ways to go yet. I know a lot of people that still use the "n word" in a derogatory sense, and regularly. Even just little jokes here and there are enough to keep racism alive. I'm not saying jokes are bad, because if they truely are jokes, race jokes can be funny for everyone (like Chappelle's show). But I just think that minorities still get poorer treatment in general than whites, and for that reason I'm kind of "on the fence" for stuff like this.

This kind of stuff is a tough call really.

On one hand, I look at this and say that it's obvious favoritism.  Like has been said, if there was a "white dude" parade, you'd have riot on your hands faster than you could blink.  And stuff like what red's talking about with the entry exams for colleges... that's just lame.  Equality should mean equality, and right now it doesn't (within this topic).

On the other hand, pretty much all of the people that I hear saying "racism isn't a problem anymore" are white.  It's easy for white folk (like me) to look at the racism problem and say "yep, it's over", but it's not.  It has gotten MONUMENTALLY better in the last 30 years or so, but I still think it has a good ways to go yet.  I know a lot of people that still use the "n word" in a derogatory sense, and regularly.  Even just little jokes here and there are enough to keep racism alive.  I'm not saying jokes are bad, because if they truely are jokes, race jokes can be funny for everyone (like Chappelle's show).  But I just think that minorities still get poorer treatment in general than whites, and for that reason I'm kind of "on the fence" for stuff like this.

547526[/snapback]

Good point Verran but in reality most of the racism still alive today is actually more blacks racist against whites than the other way around. Remember also that in reality the "White man" is actually the world wide minority not the majority....Like I said before most of the race problems still existing today are from people who think they are owed something by the world because their ancestors were oppressed. I believe thoroughly in equality of race but when I see an "blacks only club" or a white guy lose out on a job or a college scholarship just because the other guy applying is black makes me realize that in the last 10 years we have actually taken a step back from the equal race progress made over the last 50 years to the point that a lot of the time it is the white guy that is being oppressed.

Verran, you're a mick.  A Cracker.  Whitey, Fish belly, Honkie mofo.  Keep the struggle alive!  Vote Al Sharpton for President 2008!  :thumbs-up:

547545[/snapback]

Hah! All racist slurs that are actually funny :P I love being called a cracker :P

Good point Verran but in reality most of the racism still alive today is actually more blacks racist against whites than the other way around. Remember also that in reality the "White man" is actually the world wide minority not the majority....Like I said before most of the race problems still existing today are from people who think they are owed something by the world because their ancestors were oppressed. I believe thoroughly in equality of race but when I see an "blacks only club" or a white guy lose out on a job or a college scholarship just because the other guy applying is black makes me realize that in the last 10 years we have actually taken a step back from the equal race progress made over the last 50 years to the point that a lot of the time it is the white guy that is being oppressed.

547562[/snapback]

That's VERY true. I don't know if I'd say racism against whites is MORE dominant, but definately a major problem. Red's example of the lady in his store is a perfect example. Just playing the race card because she can. That's just sad really, and sets the whole "equality" thing back a major step. Also, the people that assume I hate them -becuase- I'm white. That's racism too, and it's just lame.

All of these are good points that I would agree with, but I still think it's a little too easy for me, a white man, to say that discrimination against minorities is dead.

I agree that most white people don't see anything wrong on the white side of the fence... but I KNOW that's not true as well. like ANY group of people there are white people that are total IDIOTS when it comes to things like this.

of course those partcular people are the ones I can't stand... I call them idiots.