I Think It Is A Memory Problem

I just built a rig to play with. It is a dual xeon setup that uses rdram.

I got it built, and then i went and powered it up. It powered up ok and i got into the bios. I looked around in there and everything seemed to be ok.

I then got my trusty knoppix live boot disc and threw that in. Again, it booted right into knoppix without a problem.

The next step was to install windows 2k3 server. I got into the setup, and here is where the problems is. When i got to the part where it copies files to the hard drive right after formating the drive, it throws me an error. the error was "page fault in nonpage area"

I have gotten it several times, and i even tried xp pro and got the same error. I can not even get debian linux to install properly.

I went and ran memtest for a little. When i stopped running memtest, i had about 47,000,000 errors.

I am curious as to why i can load knoppix without a problem (i believe knoppix puts a lot in data into the ram) and my memory fails in memtest

Probably because Knoppix isn't using the portion of your memory that's bad. If your memory is spitting out errors, just have it replaced.

Don't even buy RAM off EBay, even if you know that RDRAM is more expensive then a night at the Ramada Inn. I have a hard time understanding why people buy electronics off EBay. You can't physically prove something works before you buy it.

Edited by FxXP