Counter-strike Internet Server

CmpFreak88

Hey guys, I've been trying to set up a CS:S server, listening or dedicated, so me and a couple buddies can play online but they can't seem to access it. Is there some settings or something I need to change in my router? I've got some generic router that came with Verizon internet but if you can tell me what I need to look for I'll mess around with it and find it. I've tried going through XFire and having them join and that doesn't work because it tells them connection failed, and I've tried giving them the IP address it says in the dedicated server box too and that doesn't work. Oh also... One time I created the game and some guy I don't know joined... So I'm not even sure if it's me. Could it be my friend who needs to change a setting because he's behind a router too. We can play Garry's Mod and AoE online but can't get this. Any help appreciated!

Well is the router an actual router blocking ports? or one of those DSL box things? If it is just the DSL box, make sure you are giving your friends the good ip, not like network or loopback ip. Also, try an sv_lan 0 in your console to make sure its not a lan game by default, thats all i know :D

Hmmm, does anyone know what ports need to be open cause we still can't get it workign and like I said, I've had other people in my server before, so I'm sure it's his. Just need to know what ports to open. Thanks.