Ceramic Heatsink?

In spite of the recent events with the Columbia, I recently had an idea. What would you guys think of making a heatsink out of shuttle tiles? I mean, the ceramic sounds like a wonderful idea for a heatsink. It takes heat, then dissipates it to the air via a nice powerful fan. Anyone know if this has been tried or know where I could attain some for testing?

from my understanding ceramic is good for insulating. i.e. on side is really hot and the other side realitively cool. for a heat sink you want something that will transfer heat well.

also there are many types or ceramics...floor tials may be somewhat fragile but many are quite strong.

I mean, the ceramic sounds like a wonderful idea for a heatsink

The function of the ceramic tiles on the shuttles is pretty much the opposite of the function of a heatsink... :huh:

The ceramic tiles are used as a thermal insulator because ceramics are terrible at conducting heat (One side can be like a couple hundred degrees and the other side can still be cool). If they were good thermal conductors, all of the heat that they are meant to protect the shuttle from would flow through them and toastify everything on the inside. :O On the other hand a heatsink like in your computer is made of some kind of metal (Cu, Al, Ag) which is an excellent heat conductor.

The idea of using something other than just copper or aluminum on a heatsink is pretty good, but I don't think ceramics are up to it ;)

How about liquid metals, like sodium, inside of a heatsink or even instead of water in a watercooling setup?

How about liquid metals, like sodium, inside of a heatsink or even instead of water in a watercooling setup?

yeah i like that idea, if you built some ceramic around your watercooling , or in your watercooling, it would give it's heat of, that fast, and the case, or water would stay much cooler, or cooler for a longer time.

greetz

The function of the ceramic tiles on the shuttles is pretty much the opposite of the function of a heatsink... :huh:

The ceramic tiles are used as a thermal insulator because ceramics are terrible at conducting heat (One side can be like a couple hundred degrees and the other side can still be cool). If they were good thermal conductors, all of the heat that they are meant to protect the shuttle from would flow through them and toastify everything on the inside. :O On the other hand a heatsink like in your computer is made of some kind of metal (Cu, Al, Ag) which is an excellent heat conductor.

The idea of using something other than just copper or aluminum on a heatsink is pretty good, but I don't think ceramics are up to it ;)

am i invisable? :blink: