Not Quite Dead Yet

Ronin

when I got home yesterday my brother told me that the computer had frozen and we went to reboot and then it nothing came up on screen. I tried reseating the graphics cards, then I reset the bios but still nothing.

When the computer turns on it beeps once, and then 10 seconds later it beeps again and contiues doing that, also the light on my 3 1/2" floppy drive stays on. Anyone got any ideas?

think you bios crashed, or cmos, the beeps, have something to with the bios wich is checking everything, and i think "the bios tells ya there is something wrong", and doesn't wants to boot.

try checking everything, cables.. , try to reset cmos one more time, that might work to.. ;)

greetz

Ronin... how old is the PSU short continuous beeps sounds more like a power supply problem?? or maybe memory?? as far as the floppy lite?? he didn't mess with the ribbon cable did he?? I would just change that out and try another one.. The second possibility is that there's a bit in the FDC registers, and if software will set it up then led will be on and motor will be rotating. Usually, in old DOS implementations, there was countdown counter and motor was turned off in some seconds when counter expires. So please check if your PC clock is functioning.

0:043f 1 diskette motor is running (bit 0=drive A, bit 1=B, etc.)

0:0440 1 time until motor off. INT 08H turns motor off when this is 0.

What Bios you got?

Im running a K7s5a with the standard bios.

AMD XP 2000+

GeForce 4 mx 420

another crappy pci video card I found

256 DDR pc2100

2 hdd's

1CDRW

1DVD

NIC

some sound card

Ill try a diffrent PSU

ok.... Standard Bios? never heard of it..It's either an AMI, IBM,Award,Phoenix,etc.. Look on the chip...

If it's a standard IBM = Repeating short beeps =Power supply or system board problem

If it's an Award there are a lot of versions so would have to know which.

AMI anything after 2 would mean memory

could try here for some more beeps

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

ooooh okay, I see what you're saying.

sorry, I have a cuncussion right now and it makes it hard to understand things :)

its an AMI BIOS.

I unplugged a couple things from my bois so I knew it was getting enough power and that didnt help. Im calling a freidn to bring over some RAM to test.

AMI Bios Beep codes

1 Beep: DRAM refresh failure

2 Beeps: Parity circuit failure

3 Beeps: Base 64K RAM failure

4 Beeps: System timer failure

5 Beeps: Processor failure

6 Beeps: Keyboard controller / gate A20 failure

7 Beeps: Virtual mode exception error

8 Beeps: Display memory read/write failure

9 Beeps: ROM BIOS checksum failure

10 Beeps: CMOS shutdown register read/write error

11 Beeps: Cache memory error

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

What that means is that The system is having a problem accessing the system memory to refresh it. Refreshing is done on all system memory to keep its contents active.

This code usually means a problem either with the system memory or with the motherboard itself.

Dynamic RAM is a type of RAM that only holds its data if it is continuously accessed by special logic called a refresh circuit. Many hundreds of times each second, this circuitry reads the contents of each memory cell, whether the memory cell is being used at that time by the computer or not. Due to the way in which the cells are constructed, the reading action itself refreshes the contents of the memory. If this is not done regularly, then the DRAM will lose its contents, even if it continues to have power supplied to it. This refreshing action is why the memory is called dynamic.

Hope that explanes it some. :smack::D