A64 Htt

Bit of a nooby question probably, but would dropping my HTT setting from 800mhz (scaleable) to 600mhz help me keep the pressure off of my graphics card?. Because I have no AGP lock on my board the AGP bus speed scales along with my FSB rises and always becomes the limiting factor in how far I can overclock (that, and the bloody temps on this 3400 I've just bought!), so for instance at the moment I believe that a 10% OC on the fsb to 220mhz would also give me an HTT speed of 880mhz and an AGP bus speed of 72.6MHZ (at which point my AGP card starts to get a bit iffy).

Would dropping the HTT to 600mhz (and therefore an overclocked 660mhz, or perhaps, if stable, even more) pull the AGP bus speed down with it too?

agp is attached to the fsb not HTT as far as i know, but than again i know nothing. the HTT is attached to your chipset and it if goes higher than 800 if you have a Nforce3 150gb it will crash, stupid 754s!

Edited by hornybluecow

Thanks, Horny, seems either my question was so retarded that it was beneath answering or everyone else is as unclear as I am on the precise relationship between HTT and AGP/PCI bus speeds/FSB

Or you are not taking the time to read up on the subject. The AGP speeds have always been seperate from FSB/HTT settings.

Technically there is no frontside bus on Athlon 64s.

Changing the HTT(LDT) multiplier will not have any effect on the speed the AGP bus runs at.

The NF3 150 chipset only supports 600MHz offcially, but this has no effect on performance. Also, the chipset has nothing to do with the socket.

The only way to bring the AGP bus back in spec if you do not have an agp/pci lock or ratios, is to reduce the reference clock (the number most people erroniously, on A64s, refer to as FSB) back to stock.

You could try upping the AGP voltage, if possible.