Wannabe Overclocker Needs Suggestions..

I agree with the post above. I would wait, save up some more money and get a better machine in the long run. I don't think you will be satisfied with getting a whole machine for 500 bucks.

Yeah, pretty much agree with that. You could build something for 500, but probably wouldn't be stoked with the performance of it.

I've recently kick started my own upgrade process by getting a new psu and I'm budgeting about

Guest Raven65
$500 tops.

Woosh, You don't get it. I'm staying out of this one.

hahah don't you think i know that i need a case, heatsink and a fan? I already got those lying around in a box, and a plain old case to use.

I also have a 420W PSU, in case you bring that up as well ;)

As for optical drives, I got a 52X CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy to use in the meantime.. Its no DVD or burner.. but at least I got something to use

(edit: I just noticed that AMD will be rolling out Sempron 64s... Would these be worth getting (as Semprons are known to be budget money savers) [Yes, I know that Semprons are not as good in performance than an Athlon.. But it could be worth overclocking :D]

Edited by hasshaus

i would say yur best bet would be to get one of the new AMD Athlon 64 venice cores. they're great performers, OC great, and arent too expensive. in fact after you OC it you get alot more performance for the buck than other CPU's. check this one out on pricegrabber. http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_Athlon_...essor,__8571952

it runs stock at 1.8 GHz producing an output of 3000+, but it'll hit 2.6 and 2.7 Ghz with near stock voltages and stock cooling. All that said, even if the Semprons are a few bucks cheaper than the new Athlon 64 cores, they arent gonna OC as well probly and they definately wont be as good for gaming.

so go for that chip, and this MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard. http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__MSI_K8N_NEO...search=MSI+neo4

both products are awesome OC'rs, and they're not too bad on the wallet.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much started my system with an OEM from IBUYPOWER.... since then I've put 1000$ into it for the past 2 years... now I love it, and nothing is left of what IBUYPOWER Stuck me with (most of the parts sucked except for a 2500+ barton & Asus A7N8X)

It hurts to wait, but gives you alot of time to watch the market, and figure out what parts you really want... besides there are alot of new things coming... multi core's are coming out, Ram based Hard Drives, AMD will be switching to DDR2 soon, A new Windows (longhorn) will be released soon.... alot... take your time and upgrade getting the better parts, don't just build a quick cheap system that won't be able to do much of what you want... and for 500$.... your system will without a doubt consist of nothing but last gen technology... after you figure all the costs out you won't be able to afford anything close to cutting edge...