Wannabe Overclocker Needs Suggestions..

I'm new to the overclock scene.. I'm currently on an OEM PC (which isn't overclockable). But I plan on purchasing parts to build a machine designed for heavy-duty stuff like gaming but won't cost me a fortune... I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (with EAX, DVD Audio and 7.1 Surround Sound)

but I need suggestions for video card, motherboard and CPU.. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We're probably gonna need a lot more info.

To start, what's your budget? Also, I see you have an AMD now, do you want to stick with AMD or go intel? Do you want to upgrade to PCI-E video, or stick with AGP (kinda depends on budget). Any preference on motherboard manufacturer, or no... etc....

Yes.. I'm an AMD whore. (Break Intel's Monopoly! :D )

I would like to go with PCI-E (since NVIDIA just announced that they are no longer going to make AGP cards)

As for motherboard.. No preference, just a very good one that overclocks well.)

Ok, great, but you missed the most important part. Budget.

How much are you looking to spend? If we know what your budget is, we can recommend the best bang for your buck.

Yes.. I'm an AMD whore. (Break Intel's Monopoly!  :D )

I would like to go with PCI-E (since NVIDIA just announced that they are no longer going to make AGP cards)

As for motherboard.. No preference, just a very good one that overclocks well.)

505003[/snapback]

Hah! That's a good start to be in OCC. You will find that AMD peeps strongly outnumber those...other unfortunate beings that are cursed into using those...other, overpriced, overhyped, over-heated things.

hmmm, i dunno how much you are gonna be able to get with 500. cuz chances are if you've got an OEM system, you'll have to replace your powersupply b4 you even get started upgradin. and if ur gonna be OCing ne, you're gonna need to replace yur memory with faster chips. you should probly do like i did. "replace your PSU first, then figure out what CPU and heatsink you want and buy it, and a good mobo to go along with it. at that point you can put that stuff in and have a significant performance increase in everything but games, "since you havent upgraded your video card at that point." then you may have to save up some more, so once you get the money, you can buy a good video card to pop in instead of your 5200. and maybe some memory at that point as well. then thats about it unless you want to replace your case.....in which "case" you'd want to do that b4 you did nething else. :) thats what i did myself, cuz i have very little money at all, as i'm only 16. and right now i'm sittin here with a 64 bit 3200+ i just bought. the only thing left for me to get is new memory and video card. so like i say, buy some now, save up more, buy some laterr and you wont be dissapointed. cuz with 500 dollars, you probly wont get a system that'll do what you want it to.

Well, here is what i would get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813130491 mobo - $86

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103537 CPU - $146

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145480 Memory - $84

That leaves $184 for a video card, a 6600GT would fit in there, i like msi so this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814127147 Video Card - $178

Moo. ^_^

if yur gonna be buildin from hte ground up, that still wont cut it tho. cuz cold_snipe didnt include a new case, good PSU "which you will need to buy separately unless you want a piece of junk", CD-Rom,Hard drive and stuff like that.