Alright, I'll be straightforward: I have never painted anything metal I my life. I've been meaning to paint this case of mine, but never got around to doing that.can someone walk me through the steps?

I was originally gonna paint the case, but my friend paid ME five bucks cause he wanted topaint it that badly.

Kinda' embarrassed:

Mr Black Cat

Guest Raven65

First sand it down. then paint it, then sand it down. do this 5 to 6 times then the last time don't sand it and when it dries put a finish of clear coat on it.

^ that's pretty much it, except you'll want to use primer on the initial layer, and use increasing grits of sandpaper imo

503445[/snapback]

i would add,dont forger to wash with alcohol between sandings and in the last 2 use wet sanding paper (1000-1200) that'll give you an almost shiny paint without clear coat But of course you'll have to do it anyways loll :lol: and dont sand clear coats :P

Edited by kobalt

aight first thing....sand it down with about 300 grit. get all of the paint off. you just want to see the silver metal beneath the paint. after all that, get a spray can of primer from the auto store. Put on 2 thin coats, just make sure that you can't see much silver from under the paint, and make sure that the first coat is dry before you put the next one on.

next, put a couple coats of the actual base coat on. get about 3 spray cans (you'll need it to look good) of the color you want. spray very, VERY light coats. don't try to cover the entire surface on the first coat. it takes about 3 before you can't see anymore.

after about the 3rd coat, grab some 600grit sandpaper and sand the dry paint down lightly. this is to get out all the imperfections, such as hair, dust, scratches, etc. put 2 last coats on after that. always make sure the surface is clean before you spray.

after you've got that (don't sand after those last coats) get a can of clear-coat. take about 3-4 medium thickness coats of clearcoat, and then you're about 90% done.

wait for the whole thing to dry (about 2 days). then you can put your box back together, or if you want it to look nice, wait for the paintjob to cure for about a week, and you can take a high-quality wax, and just wax it. then lemme tell you, you'll have a definent eye-opening case.

and if you want to take it even a step further, get a polish called "Curator's Choice" at www.englishcustompolishing.com and use that as well.

hope that helps!

Make absolutely sure you have a place to hang your parts when painting or you'll regret it. I didn't and I have marrings on several edges where I had to lean the parts on the something while they dry. I was careful about which edges so they would be mostly hidden, but I'm still not happy about it.