Can't Install Winxp

I've been trying to install windows on my new 160gb sata hd; my config is stated below. Basically, I format the hd under windows install and everything goes up till that point, I reboot, and then when it goes to get to the point that it asks for the serial number, before it gets there it says its missing hal.dll. I've tried it with both Windows Media Center 2005 and with XP Pro and it gives the same error. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Ok, this is kinda strange... I ran memtest86 under dos and it ran with no errors what so ever, but when I ran the windows version of memtest, I got a ton of errors...

The first run I was overclocked, so I reverted my clock to normal and still, no errors with memtest86 (dos) but when running memtest under windows, I got a ton of errors. Does this explain what's going on when I'm trying to install windows? Also, is there some way to fix this?

You don't run memory tests under Windows anyways. That means nothing. If Memtest86/+ reports no errors after 5 passes, you have a worser problem. Possibly the hard drive is kaput.

You don't run memory tests under Windows anyways. That means nothing. If Memtest86/+ reports no errors after 5 passes, you have a worser problem. Possibly the hard drive is kaput.

490598[/snapback]

that is not worse. HDs are cheaper than RAM.

Hard drives may be cheaper then RAM, but whats more easier to replace? Most RAM manufacturers have lifetime warranties on their memory versus hard drives that have one to five years. This is why hard drives are a worser problem, especially with reliability.

Just curious, did you press f6 and install the sata drivers at the begining of the xp installation? It will go through the motions of formattin, copying setup files and installing even if you dont install the drivers, but then when you reboot it will go right back to the setup screen I fooled around with that for two days before I knew about the f6 thing, (about three years ago.)

I thought about installing the sata drivers, but when I looked on my disk, it shows that its for sata raid, so I didn't install it... I will go download the new ones and give it a try though...

tried the drivers and i still got the error :(. I'll try using just one stick and see what happens

Edited by Inu_Yasha