I should start by saying I am a newbie when it comes to overclocking and building.  I am not totally new to computers and with that in mind I would like to ask for any input on system building.  If you had about $4500 and could build your dream machine, how would you proceed?  I have that budget and here is how I am looking to go:

Intel 3.73 or 840EE (need help here)

Asus P5WD2

Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300G x 2 (Raid 1)

OCZ Platinum (4gigs)

Plextor PX-716SA

Ultra 500w X-Connect power supply

Logitech diNovo (blue tooth)

Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum

klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 speakers

Asus EAX850 Pro graphics card

Really need help in case choice, water cooling (best brand) and whether psu is right choice.  I need honesty and critisizm alike.  My needs are media, upgradeability and looks are a concern but not required.

487581[/snapback]

I would be using the system mainly for photoshop, video and plus I run my business software on it. I would watch dvd's on it. I believe I will go with 2gigs of ram then based on everyone's input. But still need psu recommendations and opinions on the cases based on ease of use, durability, etc. Thanks!!

Ditch the crappy Asus mobo.  Go DFI and AMD you'll thank me later.  Also when buying watercooling, you really can't just get it all in a "kit" and really expect it to perform all that well.  I would suggest buying all of the components individually and piecing them together.  Do yourself a favor and read in the "Liquid Cooling" section over at XtremeSystems.org you will learn a lot there.

488121[/snapback]

thanks for the input. I will check out site.

I believe I will go with 2gigs of ram then based on everyone's input.

488501[/snapback]

That will probably suit you just fine. I posted on here a while ago about how I installed an extra gig (for 2 gigs total) for a short while, and was REALLY not impressed with the gaming performance. On video and graphics editing, I can see using 2 though, but 4 is probably overkill. Plus, I know last time I was shopping around it was really hard to find 1 gig dimms with really low latencies (good for overclocking). If you go 4x512, you can get some really good ram with really tight timings, which will probably add up to a better overclock.

But still need psu recommendations and opinions on the cases based on ease of use, durability, etc.  Thanks!!

488501[/snapback]

For cases, everyone around here seems to love Lian Li cases. Very clean, simple, well designed, easy to use cases. A little bit pricier than your standard case, but from what I've heard, worth the extra $50 or so.

As for PSU, everyone around here talks about a company called "PC Power and Cooling" (I believe that's it). They are supposed to have the cleanest and most solid PSUs. If you're going for a top dog system, it can't hurt to have plenty of clean power.

Again, good luck in your shopping!

with your money, you shouldnt purchase anything less than a PC Power & Cooling 510W Turbo Express PSU. theyre expensive, but have the most reliable psu's and awsome tech support.