1st System

I should start by saying I am a newbie when it comes to overclocking and building. I am not totally new to computers and with that in mind I would like to ask for any input on system building. If you had about $4500 and could build your dream machine, how would you proceed? I have that budget and here is how I am looking to go:

Intel 3.73 or 840EE (need help here)

Asus P5WD2

Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300G x 2 (Raid 1)

OCZ Platinum (4gigs)

Plextor PX-716SA

Ultra 500w X-Connect power supply

Logitech diNovo (blue tooth)

Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum

klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 speakers

Asus EAX850 Pro graphics card

Really need help in case choice, water cooling (best brand) and whether psu is right choice. I need honesty and critisizm alike. My needs are media, upgradeability and looks are a concern but not required.

Specifically, what type of 'media' are you talking about? Are you talking about cad, video editing, photoshop, etc?

If you've got a bunch of cash to burn, I'd recommend going with a dual-opteron setup; if you're partial to Intel, then maybe the Xeon line. Your multi-media performance will thank you for it - it's overkill for gaming though.

I would say that getting the X-Connect PS is probably not the best idea. The concept the have is awesome, but I've just seen way too many problems with it to be worth it.

If you've got the $$$ and want some crazy water-cooling setup, check out VapoChill.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...Chill_LS_1.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001103/vapochill-02.html

for the PSU go w/ a PC Power & Cooling 510W Turbo-Cool Express. great power supply and stable as a mofo. If the media ur talking about is like video editing or cad or something, the amount of ram makes sense, but if its just watching DVD's, ur wasting ur money. you would only need like 1 gig. i think we need a better idea of how this is going to be used. :)

bad intel bad!

488043[/snapback]

Yeah, what he said!

I won't bash on the intel guys... to each his own.... but I'm definately not a fan. I just think their numbers are inflated.

If I had that kind of phat cash to build a dream system, I'd pick an A64. I'd personally go with the new Venice or San Diego cores, but I don't how easy it is to find 1 gig dimms that'll run at least DDR500. I'm sure they're out there though, but I've never shopped for them. Otherwise just go with a Winchester and you'll have no trouble coming up with ram for it.

Just my cents, good luck in your shopping!

**EDIT**

Also, with a budget like that, you really can't afford NOT to have Raid-0 raptors! Keep the mirrored 300bgs for long term "archive" storage, but make a Raid-0 "playground" drive for current projects and what-not. The load times will be awesome, and if you're doing media editing, that could be very handy with huge video files.

I don't know how familiar you are, but if you don't know, I'm talking about Western Digital Raptors. 10000 RPM Serial ATA drives. They come in 36gig or 72gig I believe. (If you did already know this, sorry for implying that you didn't :P)

I am fast replying not much time so if I say something someone already said sorry,

You don't need 4 Gigs or RAM, unless your doing heavy video work and rendering.

A gig is fine, Since you have a good budget I would get a AMD FX-57. A PSU with 450 + watts and at least 20 + amps on 12 V rail should be good, I would also go PCIE Video Card since u have the money to. Listen to other guys on Specific RAM and video card recommendations.

Ditch the crappy Asus mobo. Go DFI and AMD you'll thank me later. Also when buying watercooling, you really can't just get it all in a "kit" and really expect it to perform all that well. I would suggest buying all of the components individually and piecing them together. Do yourself a favor and read in the "Liquid Cooling" section over at XtremeSystems.org you will learn a lot there.

Since you have a good budget I would get a AMD FX-57.

488112[/snapback]

IMO, the FX series is for bragging rights only. I'll be the first to say they're [email protected], but I could never justify the price hike.

If you're dead set on spending as much as you possibly can, hey go for it. But otherwise, I would suggest a non-FX chip and put the savings into raid-0 raptors, lower latency ram, better watercooling, or the biggest baddest cleanest power supply you can find (because with a behemoth system, you'll need it).

But whatever you do, go A64!!! :P