Oh The Choices...

markiemrboo

http://www.storagereview.com

lots of reviews of pretty much all hard drives... with a LOT of results including noise levels... nice comparison with similar class drives in all reviews too... highly recommended site to check out when shopping for hard drives imo :)

ever since a whiny SCSI-UW hard drive (man that high pitched whine was unbearable) noise has been an issue...

my computers aren't silent, but they are more of a muted soft drone that doesn't bother me... that said, ALL my hard drives that i have now are unbelievably silent idling and only very slightly noticeable while seeking (i have to look at the led to make sure they're that quiet)

current hard drives:

Seagate 7200.7 PATA 120GB

IBM Deskstar PATA 40GB

2x Hitachi Deskstar SATA 160GB

^ Me :D. SATA drives are about #3 on my computer parts purchase list, but they are out of the question right now with my frankenstien AIW. I may just mod and trim some cable s with an extension to make em fit if I really want em tho :D

478850[/snapback]

Well, there's absolutely no chance of a normal, unmodded, straight SATA cable fitting in to either of those plugs with my nv silencer in the way. It's just not going to happen. You'll either have to get a right angled SATA cable (they must exist...) or.. take the outer casing off a straight cable and see if you can bend it 90 degrees without breaking it :)

Go with the MAxtor SaTa. it's quiter than the cuda. IMOHO

479003[/snapback]

Thanks. I think I will probly go with another Maxtor.

http://www.storagereview.com

lots of reviews of pretty much all hard drives... with a LOT of results including noise levels... nice comparison with similar class drives in all reviews too... highly recommended site to check out when shopping for hard drives imo :)

ever since a whiny SCSI-UW hard drive (man that high pitched whine was unbearable) noise has been an issue...

my computers aren't silent, but they are more of a muted soft drone that doesn't bother me... that said, ALL my hard drives that i have now are unbelievably silent idling and only very slightly noticeable while seeking (i have to look at the led to make sure they're that quiet)

current hard drives:

Seagate 7200.7 PATA 120GB

IBM Deskstar PATA 40GB

2x Hitachi Deskstar SATA 160GB

479052[/snapback]

Nice link!

According to that the Seagate 7200.8 drives are quieter than my current Maxtor by 2 whole dBA, and the Maxline III (which should be near enough identical to the DM+10 I think) is 1 dBA quieter, but the Seagate is slightly slower. Considering it doesn't look like I can actually have an SATA drive without faffing about with cables though, or buying a PCI SATA card, looks like I am going for the Maxtor IDE drive. Either of the drives are apparently as quiet as my current one so i'll be alright :D

despite what you may want to hear, Maxtors recent drives have been really bad. i work w/ nasa and lately we have had 4 maxtor 250Gb SATA drives go bad. My boss is replacing them w/ WD's because their drives are just more reliable. And we can't afford to lose drives. (thank god for backups though). But yea, it seems as though the lastest batch of Maxtor Drives are defective and ive heard rumors about them being recalled as well. i would stear clear of Maxtor for a little bit. go WD or Seagate. Its what NASA trusts so it must be pretty good and reliable lol.

despite what you may want to hear, Maxtors recent drives have been really bad. i work w/ nasa and lately we have had 4 maxtor 250Gb SATA drives go bad. My boss is replacing them w/ WD's because their drives are just more reliable. And we can't afford to lose drives. (thank god for backups though). But yea, it seems as though the lastest batch of Maxtor Drives are defective and ive heard rumors about them being recalled as well. i would stear clear of Maxtor for a little bit. go WD or Seagate. Its what NASA trusts so it must be pretty good and reliable lol.

479222[/snapback]

Interesting! Their MaxLine drivers were supposed to be super reliable, in fact that was one of their big selling points!!

I've got a WD 160GB thing in my cousins computer... it's.. actually noticably unquiet (compared to my maxtor) and vibrates like buggery, so that's kind of put me off those. Maybe I just got a dodgy one.. or maybe it's just the case??

• 1 month later...
my maxtor (claypso) is bloody noisy, but maybe i just got a dud one... :(

478706[/snapback]

Na, I also purchased my 1st Maxtor and its loud!. I gave it to my sister since her computer sounds like a jet engine.

You looking for a 90 degree right-angle SATA cable? :D

As far as HD's go, the quietest HD I have ever had first-person experience with was a Samsung SATA HD. Both the idle and seek noise was fantastic compared to my Seagate Barracuda's. Hitachi is also good when it comes to acoustics. If you are really concerned with noise, check out the HD reviews at Silent PC Review.

Both Maxtor and Western Digital do make good HD's, but I find that the quality varies too much. Some might be awesome (acoustically), while some may suck. It's this inconsistency that prevents me from buying them.

Edited by lilkev715