Question On Applying Thermal Paste

Hey everybody, got a few quick questions on applying thermal paste. I recently ordered a tube of AS 5, 3500+ Venice chip, and a Thermaltake heatsink/fan... this one to be exact...

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp...N82E16835106055

... Anyway, all that crap should be arriving to the house in the next couple days. I read the online instructions for AS 5 on their website, but it's confusing in one specific part and it leaves me confused. Like I mentioned, I have a Athlon 3500+ chip. My question is... do I need to rub the thermal grease on the heatsink bottom annnnd apply a dab to the processor top? Or, do I just apply the dab to the processor top? The website's instructions are confusing because the part where it talks about applying and rubbing off the grease on the heatsink to fill in the "valleys," it says "For Artic 1, 2, & 3" in red. I can't tell if that only applies for that one step or for the one section. Anyway, could someone give me some feedback on how to do this? Preferably someone that has done this before. Thanks

Just put a blob on the center of the processor and try not to slide to HSF around when you place it on top and clamp it down. I used about a blob about 1/2-3/4 the size of a BB and I'm currently running around 27C Idle, 37 Load on the stock HSF with a 3200+ at 2.2Ghz. I'd suggest also wiping down the heatspreader on the CPU and the mounting surface of the HSF with some Isopropyl Alcohol right before applying the AS5.

The reason they tell you to apply thermal paste on the heatsink and then wiping it off is so that any small crevices and potential air pockets in the surface are filled with the thermal compound. This will ensure that your heatsink is making perfect contact with your CPU and is conducting heat away properly.

Since you're getting an A64, you don't need to apply thermal compound to both the heatsink and the heatspreader on the CPU. Just follow the directions on the Arctic Silver website and place a small dab in the middle of the heatspreader, carefully place the heatsink on top without moving it too much, and you should be set.

p4_as_dabapply.jpg

Keep in mind that it'll take a few hot/cold cycles for the AS5 to "break in" and start to properly work. After a couple of days, you should see your temps drop by a degree or two in general, which is when you know the AS5 has properly set in.