Making Amsn Load The Way I Want

mantonr

I have just installed aMSN on my slackware 10.1 box and i know that it works fine becuase if i type the path into a rxtv window within fluxbox and type ./amsn it loads up and i can log on and chat to people with it.

Though i don't want to have to type in the path for it every time and so I wanted to add the directory to the "PATH" (i think that is what i need to do to make it load without my typing in the full path).

I edited the profile file in the /etc directory as root and saved it, adding the directory in the file as i thought appropriate though i still can't just open a console window and type amsn like i can if i want to load mutt e-mail up.

To load mutt all i have to do is type mutt at the prompt and it loads, how do i do this with aMSN?

cheers

i just did that, and no it doesn't contain the directory that i added. infact i have compared it to what i think the PATH list is, i got this from the /etc/profile file and they are not the same. So how do i add my directory to the path?

That would be your.. terminal program :)

(mrboo|bone)/home/mrboo$ cat /etc/passwd | grep mrboo
mrboo:*:2001:1000:Markie:/home/mrboo:/usr/local/bin/zsh

Run that ( cat /etc/passwd | grep username ) and paste the output.

ok i'm struggling to do that. I can't seem to be able to put that vertical straight line that you have in the middle of that string. I just tested something and have also realised that i don't know how to copy text out of the window.

Is there another way of me putting this amsn into the path or can anybody help me with putting in this string into the shell.

Oh. Well different shells tend to use different login files.

You could try setting the PATH in ~/.login .. that one may be universal... possibly. Otherwise it could be /etc/cshrc or some other file. I think many Linux distro's use bash, in which case I think /etc/profile should work..