Aspire Chameleon 550w Psu

Bosco

How would you rate this review? (10 being the best)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this review? (10 being the best)

It was a decent review. I know most of us don't have the equipment necessary for a REAL psu review (e.g. variac to lower the AC input, oscilliscope to measure ripple), but there are a few extras I would have done.

1) The PSU exhaust temperature should have been measured with a thermal probe or a thermometer close the exhaust.

2) There should have been some form of sound measurement from the PSU (subjective comparison most likely).

3) No mention of ambiet and/or case temperatures.

4) No picture of the PSU label and/or any "claimed" manufacture ratings.

5) No mention of the 120mm fan model numbers and/or ratings/specs.

One fact that you over-looked was the dead-on exact internal components of a x-connect PSU. X-connect PSU's have that trademark high 12v rail.

I am glad that you pointed out the extra vents on the side. The fans inside a PSU are meant to exhaust the hot air generated by the PSU(inductors, transformers, etc.). With the sides of the PSU casing open, a significant portion of that hot air just gets recycled. Very poor design IMO.

Edited by lilkev715

It was a decent review. I know most of us don't have the equipment necessary for a REAL psu review (e.g. variac to lower the AC input, oscilliscope to measure ripple), but there are a few extras I would have done.

1) The PSU exhaust temperature should have been measured with a thermal probe or a thermometer close the exhaust.

2) There should have been some form of sound measurement from the PSU (subjective comparison most likely).

3) No mention of ambiet and/or case temperatures.

4) No picture of the PSU label and/or any "claimed" manufacture ratings.

5) No mention of the 120mm fan model numbers and/or ratings/specs.

One fact that you over-looked was the dead-on exact internal components of a x-connect PSU. X-connect PSU's have that trademark high 12v rail.

I am glad that you pointed out the extra vents on the side. The fans inside a PSU are meant to exhaust the hot air generated by the PSU(inductors, transformers, etc.). With the sides of the PSU casing open, a significant portion of that hot air just gets recycled. Very poor design IMO.

414983[/snapback]

Thanks - I appriciate the feedback. I'll see if I can track down that information for you tonight. Right now I'm at work...

The main reason I looked over the fact that its the same as an X-Connect PSU is fairly simple - I've never seen one. Good eye though. I know someone else had mentioned the similarity as well.

And yep, the side venting was a poor design.

• 3 weeks later...