Why On Earth Am I Running So Hot?

Stripe

Yo, so i just got a new XP-m 2500 today and running it at 1.450V i'm getting 46*C idle, 49*C stress with my jet7 blower on pipe 101 sink.

Now, i'm sure i remember it not being so crap before, so could it possibly be my mobo sensors are out of whack?

The main problem with this is that when the mobo says the cpu hits 60*C it shuts itself off. Therefore, very little overclocking.

Any suggestions would be tops, thanks

Try re seating the heatsink and use some good themal paste, arctic silver 5 would be the one to use. Make sure you carefully follow the directions and dont rush anything. You shouldnt be gettingtemps that high :(

Yeah, i'm using AS5, i've lapped the sink, it's all seated properly, there's nothing pushing on it and i don't know what it can be other than that the blower isn't powerful enough to cool the pipe 101 (which because of it's many many super thin fins, restricts airflow to the base in low powered fans) or that the sensors are stupid.

Generally... high density heatsink fin configurations require high CFM fans ;)

Though the Xp2500M should run cooler than it's 'non-mobile' bretheren, considering it's Vcore is only 1.45v, you say you just obtained the M chip today... what H/sink set up were you using prior to that? and have you experimented using the OLD cooling configuration? <_<

If you are certain you didn't use too much AS5, then the problem may be that a tiny but of debris landed on the greased CPU before the cooler covered it.

Something as small as an eyelash or a grain of sand will jack up one side of the cooler interface and keep it from cooling the CPU properly.

So cleaning both sides of TIM, reapplying the AS5 and remounting it would be the thing to do.

Good luck.

So turns out it was the hs not seated properly, the Pipe101 i'm using is a bit strange that way...

Anyway, not i'm running my xp-m 2500 at 2.4ghz at 1.7V (as in BIOS, my Abit mobo undervolts a fair bit though) and i'm getting 45*C idle, 50ish stress. I'm just going to wait for the AS5 to settle over the next few weeks, see how it drops.

I'm still not happy with it though...

high density heatsink fin configurations require high CFM fans

That's not quite right, high density hs like the pipe101 need a high PRESSURE fan. In normal fans, that can be translated to CFM, but with blowers it's different: then are more powerful with less cfm.

I do think i need a better fan on it though...

neh, you dont need a better fan. the blower delivers air to the centre of the core and it has a good amount of air pressure..what else can you ask for.. you can overvolt your blower to make it push more air if you want too, hahaha..

winbond sensors are known to be off and inaccurate.. could be the heatsink not seated properly though