Hd Booting Problem

Vic Mackey

I have a WD Raptor 74GB hard drive and a pioneer dvd +/- RW drive. both components are on the primary IDE channel according to device manager info. sometimes when i boot it wont detect the drives. i have to restart 4 or 5 times for it to detect them both. other times they are found immediately. is the sata hard drive supposed to be on primary ide channel? i have a MSI K7N2 Delta2 mobo. once im into winxp there are no problems whatsoever. i dont get any errors at all.

Your SATA wouldn't possibly be on your IDE primary controller channel (different connector) ;)

From what info you've volunteered, it sounds like both the your SATA drive & the DVD-RW are set to primary (boot sequence), try setting your optical drive to second billing (secondary boot) and see how you get on, also to save on confusion... I use the secondary IDE interface on my m/board for the optical drives, as my board didn't appear to like it when I initially placed them in the primary IDE interface, whilst using a my SATA drive :)

Worth a shot @ least ;)