Hard Drive Smart Error

n19htmare

While booting today, i got this error.

3rd master hard disk: S.M.A.R.T. status bad, backup and replace

press f1 to continue.

I have a WD 160GB SATA drive (3 weeks old) on p4C800 Motherboard.

Lately the computer has also been sluggish. windows take a while to load, sometimes it locks up for a few seconds. CPU usage is always like 5-10% so i know it can't be that.

I dont know why its all slow all the sudden. Do you guys this its hardware or software related?

I used to just zoom through stuff really fast. can't do so anymore

p4 3.0E

P4c800 mobo

WD Sata 160GB

BFG 6800GT

Win xp sp2

Oh yea thats real smart, thats like telling someone at a nuclear power plant to ignore those warning lights that read core overheating. Best thing u could do is ghost to another harddrive, keep using that one till it dies, then hey if it doesn't die then u got a backup anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Silenc3
You hard drive is dying. Replace ASAP.

417884[/snapback]

Hate to say my Usuall short worded responce but....

Ditto to ruenin

sont start making assumptions.. calle western digital, the first call is free... so try to resolve the issue over the phone.. there phone service is realy great.. so try that first.. then they will make a suggestion from there... you may have to RMA it.. but you must see what it comes down to.. + RMAing stuff to them gets you a REFURB drive :(

Go over to wd website and download the diagnostics disk and check it properly.

On mine it did a low level format and and fixed it. Be sure when you run it that it is set to master or default and it is on a normal primary ide line no raid controller or other drive hooked up.