12v line questions

I've noticed in a few posts that the current of the 12v line is important. Why is this and what are some recommend settings?

• 3 weeks later...
:withstupid: i have heard that the 12 volt line is onli used for HD, CDrom, and DVD rom. I doubt it, but if it's true I don't know why it should be so inportant fot OCing.

Ye heard wrong. I just looked at the ATX Power connector...and sure enough, there's teh little yellow wire!

Q When is it necessary to run dual power supplies, and how do I do this?

A The reason some people run dual power supplies is because they need more power to power all of their stuff. For example, if someone has 6 Harddrives, 2 optical drives, a bunch of pci cards, and a really power video card, they probably won't make it on one power supply. It's easy to run dual power supplies, and then it's complicated. The easy way would be to have one power supply for the motherboard and fans, or your optical...it's up to you to balance the load. Use the other power supply for everything else, video card, hard drives, fans or lights...etc. In order to run your power supply without having it plugged into the motherboard, refer to firestorm's post Here.

Well, sure. the 12 volts do the mobo is (i herd) for de HDs/ROMs that go on the mobo (DUH) ,and the one that goes on the vid don;t sum any ont the PSU calculator.... anyone that really KNOWS thsi stuff can say anything???

P.S. no disregard for anyone that posted anything on this, it's just that the turnout for this is going to make me decide if I should spend 50 or 100 buck MORE on an PSU, or just go with the reidmax 520-xpw (it's some like this)

Edited by Guto