Grrrr

Cyberbeer

Recently I have been experiencing some difficulties when playing games on my computer. Games that I have played before that now wont run correctly on my computer.

C&C Generals and ZH, ran fine about 2 months ago now it crashes and or freezes up on me.

KOTOR ran fine for me maybe a month ago and now I experience slow frame rates after leaving the menus, or maps.

Call of Duty a new install for me, it freezes on me after only 3-5 minutes of game play.

Far Cry crashed on me maybe once or twice through the entire game.

I've tried everything, lowering graphic settings, changing the AGP bus speed. Lowering my OC to stock. Changed RAM timings. Reinstalled Windows, even tried to change the drivers to my vid card. Disabled VPU recovery, and the Secondary Display adapter built into RADEON cards.

The only big changes made to my system were installing the 4.12 CATs, and SP2, both of which I got rid of and started the whole process over to no avail. Oh and I installed the drivers for my Chipset. Cause I had a SM Bus Controller with ? beside it in device manager.

I ran P95 and MEMTest and both game up clean at my full overclock, which is listed in my sig. I've upped the voltage going to my dinky a$$ 9600. I've run out of ideas, and can only come to one conclusion and that is my vid card is going bad. My cousin has a 9700 Pro I might try to stick into my system but hes being a penis about it, worried somehow his stuff might get messed up. I would really, really appreciate any other ideas.

Edited by Cyberbeer

No need for a system restore as I have formatted twice since having the problem. I started having issues and found a nasty virus on my computer, so I thought I had gotten rid of it. It came back, and I didnt feel like messing with it so I just formatted.

try that 9700 if you can but if not try a system restore (if u have any saved)

387925[/snapback]

He has reinstalled windows so reverting to a system restore point wouldnt help at all and thats even IF he did have one.

Thats a very strange problem though, try running your system with only the necessary hardware and try to eliminate which devices arnt giving you trouble.

I tried for months earlier this year to get to the bottom of a lockup problem I was having. There was no good reason for it, and it was driving me bananas. When I ditched the 9600XT for a 9800Pro, it all stopped. Weird, eh?

Yea I figured that would solve ALL my problems....only thing is most of the games I am playing cept Far Cry arent that graphic intensive. Though anyone willing to mail me $250 for a 9800 Pro, I will definently buy it :).

But yes, my first paycheck with this new job is going towards debts, and a 9800 Pro, which I will flash the bios to an XT.

I wouldnt bother flashing the 9800 pro, I've heard too many stories of people that have rendered their cards useless. The only way your going to have a good chance at flashing it is if you buy a 256mb 9800 pro, it will come with the R360 core which is what the 9800XT uses. It has the temp probe in built along with a few other architectural changes that the 9800 XT has. Overclocking a 9800 pro 128mb (almost guaranteed R350 core) will in most cases yeild you the best results.