P4 2.4a W/ Asus P4v8x-x

Hi, I just bought a new system which consists of:

~Pentium 4 2.4A

~ASUS P4V8X-X

~PDP Patriot 256MBx2 PC3200 (PSD512400K)

On many reviews, I've seen people overclock this processor past the 3Ghz mark on stock voldage and HSF w/ minimal temperatures. For some reason, as soon as I try to go past 2.68Ghz, it becomes unstable. It boots to my desktop at 2.70, but anything higher dosent work. Any suggestions?

Guest Silenc3

*cough* new mobo *cough*

and what is your psu? my 450 watt with plenty of amps had trouble getting evreything going.

Most people I've seen have been able to OC this one w/o changing the voltage. My motherboard only has "AI" overclocking. I've tried to find settings to lock my PCI and AGP, but it's not there. Does that mean it's trying to OC my, well, everything?! Could that be the reason Halo is so choppy on my FX5500?

Guest Silenc3
The reason why Halo is so choppy on your FX550 is because it's an FX5500 haha

387781[/snapback]

LOL! so true

rift, If there is no agp/pci lock on that mobo, throw it away. Thats the reason you cant do anything. You will only be able to OC that chip with agp/pci locked, i suggest an 865pe mobo, Gigabyte or Abit, or a neo from asus. Something better :D

You think I could like flash another mobo's BIOS onto this one and lock it? Because I'm kinda out of money...

Actually, I'm hoping there is a key combo that bypasses AI overclocking on this mobo so I can get to my settings.

Edited by The Rift 101

• 3 months later...

Rift,

Don't feel bad bro...I've got the same problems with a P4V8xx MOBO...I'm running a 1.8GHz P4 in it and it won't stablize above 1.98 GHz...At the time everyone was raving about these boards(being a value board anyway). This is the first ASUS board I've used and I probably won't buy another one...Just on the fact they would sell this kind of trash with useless overclocking features...