Raid 0 Slower Than Ide?

OptikaliLLusion

Well, Santa brought along another hard drive for ne ^_^. I installed XP fine, but I noticed that when I built my sister's computer, which uses plain old IDE, the XP loading thing makes 2-5 passes then finishes. This RAID 0 setup I'm using takes MUCH longer than that. Isn't SATA RAID 0 supposed to be... fast?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't RAID 0 a data mirror? Whatever goes on one hdd, goes on the other? Could be the problem. Get the latest drivers is all I could sugest. Don't forget, it also depends on how much you have on your hdd. A 80 gig hdd with a few gigs used loads up in a jiffy. Where as an 80 gig with 40 gigs left, loads in about a minute to a minute and a half. By loading, I mean how long it takes the desktop to show with all the icons.

Don't turn off your pc. And get one of those 1000watt backup psus if the power goes out. J/k.

Did the mobo come with sata connectors, or are you using a pci sata adapter card? If it's a pci adapter, that could make it slower, because of pci transfer rates. Just a guess.

DFI NFII Ultra Infinity

Here are the results with the short test:

I placed BELOW ATA UltraDMA 6 at 112.6MB/s on the burst test

Sequential read speed went from just under 110MB/s to 60MB/s

Average read: 95.1MB/s

Long test:

About the same as above, sequential read test dropped sharply then rised sharply in some parts.

This seems rather slow <_<.

The silicon image raid controller on the Infinity isn't that great compared to others. A little note about burst test: burst tests is simply data being read from the on-board memory buffer. While generally it is nice to have as high as a burst read as possible, most of the time data is being read from the platters (sequential and average read). After all, can all of the data in your HD be stored in the on-board cache? Nope. A faster sequential and average read is more important as most of the time data is being read from the platters, not the on-board memory buffer. My DFI Infinity with two seagate sata HD's in raid 0 (32k stripe size) gets around 96mb/s burst and 80mb/s average read. If you want, benchmark a single drive(non-raid drive) and see what numbers it gets. Most likely a single drive will only have a average read of 40-50mb/s.