Help Me

MadMax

i have a radeon 9700, p4 2.4, p4s8x. I have all the latest updates and I have win xp on my system. when i am playing a game, and sometimes not, the computer randomly restarts. when i send an error report to see what is happening it sometimes says it is a problem with "ATI", "ATI drivers", or "an unknown device driver". i have installed all the new drivers and nothing has changed. I also thought it may be the power supply and I changed it out for a new one and the problem went away for a bit and now it has come back. does anyone know what might be going on?

-MadMax :huh:

Do you overclock?

I've seen some system totally incompatible for some reason with older ATI cards on OC's what i'm talking about it restarts, crashes till you just put it in stock mode then everything goes back to normal,i did not have time to check why though, had to give it back to it's owner ASAP :(

Then you'd have to re check all connections especially the video card, (i know that's the first thing you did but...) your main mobo cable too, might be slightly off.

What do you have on there, lights lots of stuff?maybe something is barely shorting something.

If it was me i'd take it all apart, and re build (just what's inside lol)you'd be surprised how many problems that solves :P

I've got the 9700 and was having really weird problems with it. It turned out I was having a conflict with my onboard sound and my video card. Try another PCI video card if you can and see if that fixes it. Do you already have a sound card or are you using onboard?

If it was me i'd take it all apart, and re build (just what's inside lol)you'd be surprised how many problems that solves

You would be suprised how many problems that causes too lol....Nah man I don't know what to tell you my friend also has a decent computer with a 256mb nvida card(unsure which one) and it randomly restarts....hows the temp of your cpu?

I take apart and rebuild my system every month or so for cleaning, and after a while you get to a point where you know exactly how much pressure to apply on the cards and all the quirks of your system, i think it's a good thing to do that when you're bored if not for cleaning purpose loll,and it never caused any problems ... to me anyways <_<