A Little Too Creative, Fridge Time

Ste

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vaccums are a bad idea. heat is transfered through air. if there is no air, the hardware will heat up and not be able to dissipate heat. it will be trapped. then it will burn up. you NEED air. or at least some sort of liquid or somethign to remove the heat.

Sorry, but this is not really possible. If you are talking about a system that needs THAT much cooling, then you are looking in the wrong place to cool it.

If you have enough skill to actually enclose a computer that runs that hot, then the said mini fridge will not be able to generate enough cold air for the parts. What I am saying, is that the computer will be generating more heat than the fridge can cool, and if you were not keeping your eyes on sensors very carefully, it could eventually turn into an "oven" that would pretty much cause your computer to cook itself.

Been thinking about this since I started reading...

I think it can be done but it would require cutting holes in the fridge (which I'm sure can't be easy to do... wonder if a holesaw or jigsaw could even cut through the plastic shell or whatever and the inner plastic cleanly). 3 or 4 holes, plus an additional cut out for cd rom bays.

You would need to make your case air tight as possible. That can't be fun.

You would need 2 or 3 fans and blow holes for them of course, plenty of soft or hard duct tubing... (I wonder if you could use soft tubing and still make it air tight at the fridge shell...)

Some sort of modded duct tubing, shaft for the i/o shield. Actually you might as well make one big huge cut out in the back of the fridge and seal it, so you can run some elaborate duct or vent from pretty much the entire back-side of the pc. Instead of cutting blow holes for rear fan, psu and i/o shield.

Foam or rubber molding to create air tight rings around the blow holes in the case, and fridge? As well as the area for the cd roms..

Lot of cutting into the fridge... might as well do the freezer because if youre going to try something with a small chance of panning out at a huge expense, might as well go as cold as possible... just won't be able to keep beer in their too long.

I think it would work if you really wanted to spend the money, somehow keep everything airtight, and you can manage disecting a freezer. Itd be amusing to watch you disassemble it to install a dimm module or to move a probe lead that you think isnt where it should be :D

vaccums are a bad idea. heat is transfered through air. if there is no air, the hardware will heat up and not be able to dissipate heat. it will be trapped. then it will burn up. you NEED air. or at least some sort of liquid or somethign to remove the heat.

i would have to dissagree. if there is no air than it really cant burn up. it may melt, but it cant burn because there is no O2 in the box for it to burn up. now if you had heat pipes coming out of the case to cool it, it would actually work because it would carry the heat out of the case.

another good idea would be to get that non-conducting coolent for H2o systems. if you make a tub and pour the coolent inside of the tub and completly submerse the parts in the coolent. the system will be naturally cooled by convection and because of the system being close it will evaporate condense and reform into a liquid that has been cooled. it would be a neat project to try and 100% safe because the collent is non-conductive.

Guest Silenc3

when you figure it out, build it. pm me.

kkbaigl

p.s. by the time your done you could have afforded vapochill