Will Overclocking My Ram Allow Me To Raise My Fsb.

Tomatosauce

I'm stuck at 2.32ghz on my athlon64 3000 (754)

I'm using some el-cheapo kingston 3200 and want to overclock the ram.

Will this help my CPU OC?

And if so, how on earth do I overclock the RAM?

I get confused as to what the clock numbers mean and how to overclock them on my MB.

RAM runs at a 1:1 ratio by default. So, 200mhz FSB is 200mhz on your RAM. IF your FSB is at 232, than your RAM is at 232. Now, because it is DDR, you multiply that by 2. So, effectively 464mhz on you RAM. You can set a divider in your BIOS to have your RAM run slower than your FSB. 5:4 would show for sure if it's your RAM holding back your OC.

You're probably at the limit for your mem. El Cheapo RAM is doing good to have a 64mhz OC on it. Try getting some TCCD PC3200. Another member posted earlier that some place has some BH-5 in stock, you might wanna check that out too.

Not to sound ignorant but how does one change the divider?

And if OC'ing my CPU raises my RAM why do I hear so much talk about tightening latencies and so forth?

I tried searching the forums for the basics of RAM and how to overclock it but to no avail.

OK I now have a signature. The RAM is dual channel capable but my MB isnt. :(

Also could you please explain the different latency numbers? I looked in advanced chipset features and it has 6 different ones. I only see you guys talking about 4 of them but dont know which ones.

Heres how they read:

CAS# 3.0

RAS to CAS 4

RAS# Pre 3

Cycle time tras 8

Bank Time Trc 11

DRAM Idle 16

Translation please? :D <-------- (RAM for Dummies)

so it's still fsb on the a64's, not htt?

HTT is the multiplier. So, on a S939 it's 5x200=1000. S754 has an HTT of 4x. I believe HTT is used to communicate with the RAM - but since the controller is on the cpu die, you can't use FSB to talk to it. However, you still have to comminucate with the NB somehow - and that is the FSB.

I'm not a RAM guru, but try these settings.

CAS - 3

RAS-CAS - 4

RAS-Precahrge - 4

CTRAS - 10

Now select the frqeuency '166' or, '5:4' This will underclock your RAM and allow you to get you CPU running at a higher speed until you can get some better RAM.