Need Photoshop Help

henbenley

I've just selected the image with the magnetic lasso tool. Now I want to add that selected image into another image that I have open in photoshop. I've tried copying it, but it keeps it the same size as the original. Is thier anyway to make it smaller or bigger so it can fit into any size image. I plan to use it as part of my logo for a clan I'm starting. The one image is 400x400 and I need it to be scaled down to fit into a 200x100 image. Then I'm going to need the first image for other logos also. Anyone understand any of this at all? Sorry if it didnt make much sense.

If your selection is active ( you should see the "marching ants"-the blinking dashes around your selection ), go to Edit>Transform>Scale. This will give you a box to drag the size up or down for your needs. Hit enter or click on the checkmark on the toolbar next to the palette dock to finalize your change.

You can cut & paste (or copy & paste to preserve the image you're copying from) from the Edit dropdown menu. Click on Edit>Cut/Copy, then click on the document you want it to go to, then Edit>Paste. It will be pasted in a new layer. After you get everything set up so it looks good, Layer>Merge Layers or Layer>Flatten image. After merging layers/flattening you can save in just about any format you want.

If this is for web stuff where file size is important, PS can reduce file size using File>Save for Web. You'll have options for shrinking the file sizes for JPEG,GIF, and PNG. The original can be compared side by side with the optimized version so you can see how much quality you gain/lose by increasing/decreasing file size. Works pretty well.

is should be a new layer. change to the "arrow" movement tool and you can move it around without affecting anything else. This has to be done BEFORE you merge layers/flatten image, as r_target suggested.

Flatten Image should be used only at the very end.

Merge layers can be used in the middle of a project to group layers together once you have the right fit.

Good point Claymeow. If the wrong stuff is moving when you try to move something with the arrow tool, you may not be on the right layer. Make sure the layers palette is open (if it's not already open, you should be able to drag it out of the palette dock and into the workspace), then have a look at the thumbnails for the layers to see which one has the artwork you need to position against the background. Left click the layer in the layers palette to make it the active layer.

I hope I didn't recommend merging layers prematurely, if so we may have to start over. :ph34r:

Good to hear. PS infuriated me for a long time. :lol:

heehee. I never really had a problem with photoshop, but i just got CS 2 days ago, and it's so different from what I'm used to (PS 5.5...lol). I'll have to learn as I guess. A lot cool features I've never seen before, and a lot more streamlined (like how text is created/modified now...right on screen, rather than in a separate window). My new sigpic was my first creation in PS CS.

heehee. I never really had a problem with photoshop, but i just got CS 2 days ago, and it's so different from what I'm used to (PS 5.5...lol). I'll have to learn as I guess. A lot cool features I've never seen before, and a lot more streamlined (like how text is created/modified now...right on screen, rather than in a separate window). My new sigpic was my first creation in PS CS.

i like the addition of the liquefy thing.. and also you will like the build in pant engine