Installing From Linux

pi-dickens_project

How do I install programs from with in linux, I have mandrake.

for example, i am trying to install AIM, so i go to the prompt... get to the desktop (where the aim file is) then 'ls' it.... but how do i get it installed. I am not in the know aboot how to go about it.

do they have AIM for linux? I would personally use GAIM, and what kind of a file is it? Is it an rpm file of a tar file? If it an rpm than all you would have to is go to the command prompt and type rpm -ihv filename.rpm and it should install. If it a tar file youll probably have to compile the source code using the make, make config, and make install commands.

lol, if he has mandrake, and it's an RPM, the mandrake rpm manager should install it if it's double clicked...

If not, I'd imagine it's a tar.gz or something similar, in which case, you'll most likely need to extract the directory from it, again, if you're usoing a modern version of mandrake, you could get to the directory by double clicking in the archive file. Drag the directory to your desktop and open a command prompt in that directory.

Chances are, this should install it, but I can't be cerain:

./configure
make
make install

That's the typical install process for a source installation

ok, i tried to double click and after a few steps it asked me to insert 'Installation CD 4 (x86)' but mandrake only had 3 installation disks, hence my problem with that.

i tried the rpm -ihv [filename] one and got this message 'failed dependancies' 'libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is neded by aim-1.5.286-1'

what to do?

oh, i dont fully understand how the

./configure

make

make install

is supposed to work. where does teh filename go?

haha he is trying to isntall the windows ver of aim, and sorry dude aol doesnt support aim under linux so your going to have to get gaim

actually, no... i am installing the Linux version of AIM. It does exsist and on the site it has instructions on how to install AIM under Mandrake linux, its jut that the instructions arent helping me, a beginner to linux, very much in installing the program.

d3,

here is what the instructions say on the site:

Installation Instructions for RPM

Download AIM onto your system.

On the command line, type the rpm command as shown in the example: rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm where 1.5.286-1 represents the AIM version and release numbers.

To install a higher version of AIM, use the rpm upgrade option, for example: rpm -U aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm

To run AIM, log in as a regular user, and type "/usr/bin/aim" on the command line.

ok, i tried to double click and after a few steps it asked me to insert 'Installation CD 4 (x86)' but mandrake only had 3 installation disks, hence my problem with that.

i tried the rpm -ihv [filename] one and got this message 'failed dependancies' 'libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is neded by aim-1.5.286-1'

what to do?

./configure

make

make install

Thats sucks. You're missing the library files needed to install the program. You can do 1 of 2 things. 1. do a google search for libstdc++ and libc6.1-1 and download it and install it the manual way. or 2. you can look into a program called apt-get. apt-get will check dependencies for you so that you dont have to do step one, then apt-get will download the proper dependencies and install the program(s). Or you can find the right disk and try it again. Dependency hell sucks. Thats one of the reasons i like suse. I got the suse dvd edition and whenever it asks for a dependincy I just stick in the one disk. But I try to use apt-get as often as possible. It makes life much easier.

Whichever road you choose, you're gonna have to do some research. Linux is not an easy beast to tame if you are completely new. Good luck man.

what to do?

./configure

make

make install

OK. You need to install the static liraries for C++, IIRC... I think that's what libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 belongs to anyway.

Go into your mandrake menu (start menu) look around for package management, usually in a configuration sub-menu. Go to install Software and type "libstdc" in the search box. Then, select the libstdc++6-static-devel file (there should be one there) Once it's installed, do the same, but search for "glibc"and install your glibc-devel package. In both instances, you'll be asked to insert some of your CDs, if it asks for a CD you don't have, you were ripped off and given disks for a version with more disks.

Now try again.

The ./configure stuff only works with a source package, and you don't have one of those. You have all that to look forward to later.

• 1 month later...

Ok.. just to make life alot easier with dependancies, it is alot easier to get the right RPM for your distribution. If it is easy for you to work through dependancy issues, then compiling the program is cool.

Also, it helps alot to get the right RPMs for your distro... ie: gaim-1.01-FC2.rpm for Fedora, MDK.rpm for Mandrake and so forth. This will nail down alot of dependancy problems too.

As far as the ./configure&&make&&make install (short cut, btw.. the && will only do the next step if the first one completes cleanly, nifty, eh?) This needs to be used with the tar ball sources. I use RPMs, sources, whatever. Souce zips are usually smaller than RPMs so it really depends on my connection speed that I have at the time.

But back to it... i think that GAIM is installed by default with MDK isn't it?

But back to it... i think that GAIM is installed by default with MDK isn't it?

Yeah, mandrake has gaim, but I think you have to select it to be installed, first. It IS however, on the install CDs :) So you can install it through the Package selection wizard in X if you missed it before