Server Software

henbenley

I have an extra computer sitting around here that is connected to the internet and I was planning on setting it up as a server. I first want to just get it as a file server so I can access files from anywhere on the net and then eventually as a webserver to host my small personal website. I have cable internet and I know that its possible to do this but I just need some help with getting the software setup and running, alongwith some router configurations. I'm a complete n00b to setting up the router so I know I'll need plenty of help with that.

I have a fresh install of windows 2000 on the computer already, so what else do I need.

well you can grab Filezilla which is freeware from sourceforge for the FTP part of it. Apache for the webserver which is also freeware.

To setup your router you need to forward the ports 21 and 80 to the internal IP of your windows 2000 box.

Every router is different, but what you should do is get Apache setup and your FTP server software setup, test to make sure it works on your local LAN, then we can worry about opening up the proper ports.

Alright I got both of those software packages installed, I dont think that I'm going to need the filezilla one, because I dont need to upload stuff from anywhere but my computer at home which is on the network. I have dyndns.org setup and everything works. But I need php and mysql for forums and some other pages that I'm working on.

But I need php and mysql for forums and some other pages that I'm working on.

Oh you didn't mention you needed MySQL, and PHP, in that case, uninstall Apache and download

Foxserv from Foxserv.net

Its an all in one Apache, PHP, and mysql install that will install it all and configure them to work together. I use it on my own webserver and it works wonders