Via 4 In 1 Drivers

hi all

i have a problem, i did a clean install of windows 98se and proceded to do the usual install drivers and stuff but when it came to the 4in1 drivers big problems,

upon restart i was confronted with "ur display device is not configured correctly" and it wouldn't let me change any of the settings and the system device screen told me the video card wasen't installed propely or drivers missing but i had just installed the latest drivers from the hercules web site also the latest 4in1 drivers from via.

this has never happened to me b4 i have since done another clean install of windows (formatting the hard drive and fdisk)

my via chipset is northbridge via apollo kt266/a and the southbridge is via vt8233

any help would be greatfull.

I have the kt333 chipset...so telling you how I got mine to work would probably be wrong...go to the "viaarena" forums at VIA arena webpage

and check out the "retro" OS section for win98se.

In mine, the kt333 chipset, I had to use the 4.35 drivers instead of the newest (they are for WinXP, not 95,98, or Me), and then install them from safe mode after yanking the old drivers (that shipped with my Motherboard).

Listen the guys on the ViaArena, they know lots.

Yeah, if they can't point you in the right direction, I don't anyone that can.

I am going to built an XP system when I get new MB, RAM, 8MB buffer drive, etc. just so I don't have to work with the driver problems of 98SE anymore...and I HATE, I HATE, I HATE "XP"

Good luck

i did have win xp pro on my system then something just corupted my system so i thought i would put win 98se back on, plus most of the games i play wouldn't work on xp.

do u think that windows ME is worth a shot? i would try win2k but can't afford it at the min.

i finally figured it out......

i have too much memory in my computer....

i took the 256mb stick out and it acceptted the via 4in1 drivers no problem what-so ever.

all my 3d games run now so i am happy bout that but now i have the problem of how to get around the problem of being able to put this stick back in without any problems....... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

crap i was wrong, my 3d games don't work, not unless u count the sims as a 3d game?

all i get is a black screen, it's like the video card isn't sending any signal to the monitor only on 3d games like rtcw and ut2003

man this is getting tedious :angry::angry: