Which To Learn First?

Really? What do you have to learn them for?

For my course....My tutor told me when he interviewed me that the course im doing (computer science) focuses more on Java and C++ than any other language. From what i've read about Java, the only good thing about it is that it's portable. Apart from that, it seems pretty crap. Anybody got any motivational tips? I tend to get bored as hell when trying to learn programming and get easily distracted :unsure:

Hmm...aside from what you're going to have to code to pass the course, I'd suggest that you think up some cool things to do with what you've learned in between major projects...like code up a app that'll differentiate equations for your calc course or make one that'll calculate the amount of experience a party of five characters who defeat a monster in dnd would get :P. Just try to link it to something you enjoy doing so that it helps motivate you more...just make sure you keep using it as oppossed to just looking though the book, that's the trick to learning any language...even non CS ones.

• 2 weeks later...

sup homes,

i did a B.Eng in Computer Systems Engineering and most of the programming that we did was in C/C++... once you know them you can EASILY convert stuff to Java... imo Java is even more of a "high-level" language, and as such, it is more limited, and less intricate from a coder's point of view...

one book that i own even comments on how the C++ exercises would transfer over to Java...

oh, haha, just seen your latest comment... never mind, Java will give you a taste of C/C++ concepts anyway...

hehe, i start lectures a week on Monday... next week is fresher's week, oh yeah and registration/induction obviously... nice!

:) s-s-s-s-students!