Overclocking The Amd Sempron Processors

exangel

Google has not turned up much in the way of people results overclocking the Semprons. I'm curious since I am going to be on a very strict budget for my upcoming folding machine and I would rather get the 333 FSB Sempron than the Thoroughbreds in my price range...

Would it be the same as OCing a Duron? Does anyone know if it will have any sort of OCing lock(s)?

Thanks.

The Semprons and the Thoroughbreds have very little marginal differences in performance, and in theory, a Sempron is a T-Bred. The only thing that I noticed is that the Sempron 2800+ is clocked at 2GHz vs the T-Bred B 2800+ which is at 2.2. The Semprons use the same voltage as the T-Bred as well, and I also believe the Semprons are multiplier locked as any T-Bred or Barton past week 39 of 2003.

IMO, I think you are better off getting an Athlon XP Mobile. They are cheaper because they don't come with heatsinks and you will be able to get one h*ll of an OC on them with the right board.

Don't mean to blatently flame, but what the heck was that all about? Seriously, did it have any relevance?

As for your processor question, you could go with a Sempron, but an XP mobile owuld be better for your purpose.

What about the socket 754 Semprons? Wouldn't they outperform the XP CPU's since they use the 800mhz hypertransport? And, don't they have the onboard memory controller? I would think they would hammer the XP's?

.......... ____

There's a socket 754 semperon?

Semperons have half the cache of a t-bred. that's 128k. they're made to compete with the celeron in the lower budget market. funny thing is that the regular barton cpus are priced better than the equivalent celly anyways!

spend the extra $25 and get a barton

Yeah, two socket types. Socket A and 754. Supposedly, Socket 754 is just failed A64's, so they disable half the cahce and run them as 32-bit only.

Just looked it up at www.anandtech.com. Good write up comparing Socket A/754 vs Celeron D.

In the end, the Sempron 3100+ performs about equivalently with the A64 2800+

The only feature difference between the socket 754 Sempron and the A64 is 64-bit support and 1/2 the cache.

Spend the money and get a socket 754 Sempron it will eat a Barton core alive.

There's a socket 754 semperon?

Semperons have half the cache of a t-bred. that's 128k. they're made to compete with the celeron in the lower budget market. funny thing is that the regular barton cpus are priced better than the equivalent celly anyways!

spend the extra $25 and get a barton

no, socket A sempron have 256k L2 just like a t-bred. same die size, same everything... but actually have a higher front side bus than all but the last of the t-breds.

but yes the 754 sempron 3100+ demolished the celeron and all other budget chips.

yeah, i thought it was 256kb.

I already have a machine with an XP Mobile 2600+ and its the greatest value I've ever bought (*cough* forced my bf to buy for me *cough*)

I was honestly just wondering if anyone around here had done it, as I expect its price to drop in a while and thought it might be a nice new toy to tweak with. I probably will just get another XP Mobile.. but I'm still curious about the Sempron.

Yeah, that's me. It's my birthday today! I'm 21.

On topic, that google result was exactly why I posted this question here. All the results are just other forum threads except that Sharky article which answers nothing at all for me, since I am looking only at Socket A ><

btw

Thank you, everyone, I have some perspective now ^^