Knight Rider Mod

Hey all,

I am new here at OC'ers forums, I have been modding PC's for a while, but I have never tackled anything quite as large as what I am attempting now.

I am going to be create a custom case for my friend that involves a knight Rider theme. He is a huge fan, and has even wired up LED's in anticipation of the perfect case.

I am going with a front clip idea. I am going to lay a AT case on its side, and completely remove our original front panel from the equation. I will be fabricatin a front panel that looks like KITT's front grill. (Firebird) I am going to bend/cut/and re-weld the case to give it that sloped look of the Firebird. I will be postin pics as soon as I get them taken and uploaded.

I have yet to see a really unique Knight Rider Theme mod, and I would appreciate any tips, pointers, and ideas that you more experienced modders may have. I have a variety of tools at my disposal, and plan to aquire any that I may need along the way.

So far I plan to use a 200 WATT Soldering Gun to re attach the case frame, and a dremel to do the case cutting.

I was also planning on using styrofoam to form the front grill, then covering it with a layer of paper mache to smooth it out. (This is still being debated.) I know how to get a good mirror finish with a some rattle can, but I would like any advice on what I could use possibly use to create the grill with that would not show too much texture, or even something I could coat a foam frame with to smooth out the foam cells. I originally thought Bondo may be the answer, but I thin that may be over kill.

I will post pics with in the week, of the case I am working with, and the specs of the PC that we are putting inside it as well.

Edited by Xperi-mental_101

styrofoam wouldnt be bad as long as you got the sealant to harden the styrofoam. Hardened styrofoam is strong stuff, plus with styrofoam, you can mold it to perfection. I'd like to see a styrofoam mod on a computer :P

styrofoam wouldnt be bad as long as you got the sealant to harden the styrofoam. Hardened styrofoam is strong stuff, plus with styrofoam, you can mold it to perfection. I'd like to see a styrofoam mod on a computer :P

still, even though, it's still styrofoam. i do admit, it would be very easy to shape, but i'd have trouble getting over the fact that there's styrofoam on someone's computer - it's just too flemsy for me. i like tough stuff :P

I will probably edit this post later this evening with the images of the sketches I have done so far. After consideration, I have decided to tear at this using all of the above mentioned in one way or another.

1. I am going to first use Styrofoam to create a perfect replica, get the size/scale/detail correct.

2. I am going to cast a paper mache mold from the styrofoam mock-up.

3. I will use the paper mache as a mold for the fiberglass. Then I will accomplish the "car" look I am going for.

I think I am going to create the wheel wells as more of a mask for the cables, and I think we have decided to put the voice panel on the back piece.

I am also going to start working with thin sheet metal, as I think the fenders would look great in metal.

**I have the pics of the work done so far on this project.

Here is the case I started with on this mod. It is an old school AT case. By the time I am done with a lot of the dismantling of the case. This was a bit of a pain since the case shell was one piece.

And my case shell completely dismantled. mvc-003f.jpg

Then I removed any interior bays by drilling out the rivets. I also had to remove the mobo tray since we are working with an AT case.

After: mvc-005f.jpg

Once this is done, it is time to start shaping the front of the case down at an angle just like the car, so to do this I am going to have to do more cuttin on my case frame.

mvc-006f.jpg

I already reduced the height of the (now) front of the case. The flap of metal that is still there is going to act as a base for the led.. so that is staying for now.

mvc-007f.jpg

Now we start with the fun part. Fabrication of the front grill. Since this is going to be the piece that people rememebr, I want to do a really detailed job on the mold.

Here is the sketch I drew from looking at tons of KITT pictures.

mvc-008f.jpg

mvc-009f.jpg

I am actually layering 1" thick styrofoam to create the grill.

mvc-012f.jpg

Its easier since there are so many sharp angles in the front grill.

mvc-010f.jpg

It allows me to really get a sharp edge on them.

I will be applying aluminum foil to this styrofoam mock up once it is complete, then I will be fiberglassing it to the front panel that has been cut. The grill will be permanently attached to the front piece, then riveted on.

Next step... Shaping the hood, and wheel wells.

Edited by Xperi-mental_101

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...