Top Of The Line 9800 Pro Or Something Else?

Capo

I'm in the market for a vid card for a system I'm putting together. Basically, should I get the following ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (256bit, 256megs or ram):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....ufactory=BROWSE

Or is there a new generation Video Card that I can get for 300 bucks or under? That one is 266... but my cap would have to be 300. Do I have any options or should I just get that card?

The ATi X800 isn't showing up on newegg under $450 bucks... Where can I get it for 300?

I haven't used a Geforce in a bit... how does that compare to the ATi X800Pro?

Yikes maybe it's $400 for X800Pro (sorry to give false hope). Someone on the forums here has a 6800 ("non-ultra") that was $300 retail, and it'll spank the 9800Pro/xt pretty good. If I understand correctly, it goes something like this:Fx5950 < 9800Pro < 9800xt < GeForce6800 < X800Pro < GeForce6800GT < GeForce6800Ultra & X800Xt tied for best. This does not reflect ATi's apparently poor Doom3 performance.

I got my MSI NX6800 from Newegg for 297 shipped to my door! And the bundle it comes with is great! But yeah my 6800 performs awesome at anything I throw at it! Its worth the money. B)

I just looked at the card on newegg. Would you (and everyone else) suggest that card over the 256meg version of the 9800pro?

I'm looking to get something that will stay current the longest as possible. ;)

How much of a performance increase does it have over that 9800 pro?

I would guess about 30%. This might not seem like much, but you would probably see the performance increase best in the "make or break" minimum fps area, with certain newer games approaching unplayability at higher resolutions/IQ on the 9800Pro while the newer GeForce can still hang tough.

Yes I would suggest it to you or anyone else for that matter! Thius card is going to last you in the long run because of the new technology it is based on. I mean when you can pull this card out of the box and score 8,264 on 3DMark03 (and thats with my crappy 2.4b) I'd say thats a great buy and better then the 9800 Pro! B)

Edited by Ostate21

the 6800 will be better though a 9800 is prolly a better option right now, a 128mb pro will last you ages while you save to get some of the cards that are coming next year i think this is the best option atm unless you have loads of loot.

If your going to get a 9800 pro buy the msi version, same price + or - a few bucks. The MSI comes with the r360 core wich is the 9800xt core so you can overclock it easily. There is not much difference in performance between the 128 and 256 meg versions of the 9800 pro from what I've read but the MSI only comes in a 128 meg version.

Pred