Water cooled mod questions...

Guest PostalBoy

Guest PostalBoy

I am begining my new system and, after considering all the different methods of cooling a processor, decided that doing a custom water cooled mod to my case would be the way to go. I have located many cases that have the room, only a few questions remain now. Where can I get a pump and a radiator.

Though I am still looking if anyone has a few links that they could provide, or any information, or gripes about water cooling systems in general please post, I want to know as much as I can before I dive head first into the overclocking world.

why not water cool, if you do it correctly, all the stuff u mentionted that will happen WONT. And, you only need one fan on rad. plus you can remove all your system fans save for the mobo fan and gfx card. you can also overclock MUCH more

Guest PostalBoy

Actually... I would be removing gfx fan also, provided that I can find a water block that will mount on the board and does not require very intricate work (like drilling). Also I have decided to keep two other fans on the case, so that would be three fans total if you include the one on the rad.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest CopperMonkey813

CopperMonkey813 -

I was also working on a water cooling project until I found out I'm so low on cash.  www.wahoocomputers.com was going to do it for me.  They are really good at case mods.  Here's what I would do.  For the waterblock, nothing beats www.dangerden.com's Maze 2 waterblock.  But a shim and good thermal compound (Arctic Silver II) The CPU should be freezing. =)  www.dangerden.com also has some nice video card waterblocks as well.  For a good example of what a neat and hot looking (or cool looking, if that's what you prefer) go to www.xdream-machines.com and look at their water cooling technique posted on the site.  Also, the tubes can come out of your Case's ceiling and back in to the back.  Believe me when I tell you, you will want a wide and spacious case for water cooling.  I suggest the Yeong Yang cube style cases because both wahoocomputers.com and xdreammachines.com uses it.  Also, about the sediments collecting in the water pipes, that only happens using crappy water.  Use distilled purified water.  And there is special coloring that doesn't dirty the tubes if you want the color the water.  Wahoo was going to do it for me.  In fact, since I had the tube coming out from the top and in from the back, they were trying to look for glow-in-the-dark color or neon color.  I'm not sure if such a thing exists however.  If you don't want to get such a good water cooler, just go for a Senfu water cooling kit.  It gets the job done, the temp. is MUCH lower than the best of fan/heatsink, but it looks like sh...  Custom water cooling is much better.  But don't forget about fans.  If using the Yeong Yang case, I suggest a fan on radiator, 2 fans on the stock intake, and 2 fans on the stock exhaust.  You might want a big power supply as well.  I suggest minimum 450 watts from a good PSU company such as Fortron, Enermax, and PC Power and Cooling.  That's it, I'm done, e-mail me or IM me on AOL for replies too if you can.  I want to hear what you will get, just for curiosity.

Guest PostalBoy

>In fact,  since I had the tube coming out from the top

>and in  from the back,  they  were trying  to look for

>glow-in-the-dark color or neon color.  I'm not sure if

>such a thing exists however.

They do make ultra violet die for water that will "glow" in a blacklight. From what I gather you are looking for UV sensitive tubing... If you find any, let me know. Below is a link to Cases Etc. go to their water cooling accessories. Maybe this will be an good alternative for your glow in the dark tubing.

http://www.caseetc.com/

Guest whypick1

Also, there's Koolance which makes pre-made water cooling cases. All you gotta do is hook up stuff to things :P.

Beyond that, I really have nothing to say.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CopperMonkey813

DangerDen is hot.  The highlight for them however, is their waterblocks.  Holy shhhower, the Maze series waterblock is soooooooo amazing.  It's the best waterblock that is reasonable.  (Noone wants an above 150 dollar waterblock!) =)  However, Koolance is the only company I have seen with power supply coolers and hard drive coolers.  Pretty cool... Like I said, go to www.xdream-machines.com and they have some good pictures on mint and perfect (almost) on water cooling setup.  Totally tricked out...

• 1 month later...