AMD vs. Intel

when will ppl learn just bc the motor's bigger dosent mean it's faster lol (well kinda teh same idea) You see ive been an Intel boy all my existance but i just bought my 1st EVER AMD system (1.3 duron :-\) but ive played with them. They are quite well built chips and the speed DOSENT = performance thats just the way it is. AMD used to need a higher speed vs intel (hence all the old game boxes 300mhz PII or higher/400mhz AMD or higher to play) now the roles have been reversed AMDs outperform the intel chips at teh same speed just get over it :). It all have to o with how the chip was made and what optimizations that it has built in. although it dose seem that the AMD performance ratings are a little off i mean the 2600+ that ive played with of my friends seems more like a slightly better 2.4 P4 than a 2.6 chip but i guess it all depends on what u do with it :)

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont understand this go out and buy urself an AMD mobo and an AMD processor with a performace rating = to your current processor's speed and switch it out in your own system and i bet you will BARELY be able to notice any difference if u can tell any.

amd athlon xp 3000 is rated at 2.1ghz 400fsb and the price is $150 and when you look at intel you got a you git a northwood 2.4ghz 533fsb for the same price

um, the athlon actually has a HIGHER true front side bus.

intel uses "quad pumped" for marketing. this means the real fsb is 1/4 of what they say

amd uses "ddr fsb" for marketing. this means the real fsb is 1/2 of what they say.

now 1/4 of 533 = 133, 1/2 of 400 = 200.

use your math skills on that one

now the PR rating of the xp processor does NOT correspond with an intel chip. it's what it would have taken a thunderbird to keep up. the athlon 64 however IS rated against the P4

no matter how you put it the point of it is that it is still a 400 fsb and intels is a 533 also how can you compare a 64bit processor to a 32bit processor there like apples and oranges

A 64-bit chip in a 32-bit OS is running @ 32-bit, so it is fair to compare them.

the quad 533 may be higher than the double to 400, but in the end, if it is originally 200 vs 133, then the whole system will be running faster due to the 200 fsb, rather than a slower 133 fsb.

put it this way, who in their right mind would say a celleron (100x4fsb) at 2.8ghz would match a p4 (200x4fsb) 2.8ghz?

Its about the other features as well dued.

OK.. basically the intel 4x133 = 533 means ddr memory runs at 266mhz

and amd 2x200 means ddr memory runs at 400mhz.. thats where the main performance difference is.

memory is that the only thing that makes amd better thats what your gana go by what about ever thing els amds run hot while northwood only run hot when oc intel has thermal throttleing witch prevents the chip fro over heating amd will just blow out heres what im sayin im mad cuz every one is hateing on intel when they have a more well rounded cpu when amd dont

Edited by confuzzedintelguy