Which Is Bigger 340mb Or 1.00g

You still don't understand that us Americans don't give a crap about SI. We don't even use meters or kilometers.

but it doesn't matter....i go back to what i said earlier:

Does it really matter whether you think of a gigabyte as 1024 or 1000, as long as you're consistent? If you have a 60gig harddrive and install a 4 gig game....it doesn't matter if it's really 61,440Mb or 60,000Mb, because the game will either look like 4,096Mb or 4,000Mb. In both instances the game takes up 6.67% of your harddrive space. So consitency is key, not the actual numbers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, if you're going to call 1024 kilo, then when you install a game that is X gigs then you're not going to call 1,000,000,000 bytes a gibibyte, but, its still wrong. Also, the scientific community in the United States uses the metric system, along with the military. I live in the US so I'm full aware of the status of the metric system here. What you "give a crap about" or not does not change the fact that if you look it up in a book you are going to be wrong.

I call 1000 meters a kilo, if I used it. But all that 1024 comes from is: 1024-512-256-128-64-32-16-[8]. 8, not 2 (base systems) is where this all comes from. If the systems were only binary, then you would be completely correct, Joe. Then we would see the nomenclature be used and something like 1000000000 instead. I think that this is the point that everyone was missing.

Edit: quick math finds that 1024 DEC=[400 HEX=2000 OCT=10000000000 BIN]. In this light, it seems we all really missed something. So it seems we were all looking at the wrong base system. Joe, you're right with the binary part, but it changes when figuring the same number in decimal. That's when we use Mega, Giga, and the like.

Guest Nacho
Joe, realize it or not, no one in America listens to SI.  You will never see the nomenclature you're talking about come into widespread use, or at all for that matter, so we really don't care.  I think Nacho hit the nail on the head.  Besides, the computer may run electronically binary, but the software actually runs bits of 4 to 256, depending on platform/system.  This is why you see 1024 instead of 1000: 1024 is the code equivalent to base 10 number 1000.  It is not a software screw-up, and it is not extra anything;  it's how that number system runs (think F in Hex, 15 in decimal but it is the 16th position)

Edit:  I thought everyone saw the caps error.  Reguardless, the argument still holds.

forget it, you guys aren't even reading what I'm saying. Remember the old saying, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded. I know I'm right, and so does the SI and the NIST and most computer scientists, so i'm not worried about it. I know that the correct system will probably never get into widespread use, but that doesn't make it any less right. Oh, and CompTIA does not set standards for this kind of stuff. They handle certifications for computer technitians.

CompTIA might not set standards, but if they had a question on a cert exam "How many bytes are in a kilobyte?" you'd better believe you'd get it wrong if you said 1000.

Nacho

Guest Nacho

Yes, I did, and I agree with you. I wasn't arguing with YOU, I was arguing with Joe...

Nacho